Tim R. Massachusetts

School Hours

Sleep is an important part of life and an important part of learning new and exciting things.

Hello Mr. or Mrs. President,

Congratulations on being elected. You have endured long hours and long nights over the last couple of years I imagine, so you should know first hand how when you are fully awake and have had a good night of sleep you preform better than when you are deprived of sleep. I would like to cut the hours of school back so that more kids have an opportunity to learn more and become future genius.

You may be asking yourself, "How would cutting back school hours help kids learn more?". Well when people sleep there brains recharge and it gives them an opportunity to learn more the next day. Cutting back school hours would also be important because most high schools start early in the morning at about 7:00 am, and most kids that attend high school are in between the ages of 13-18 years old. According to The Better Sleep Council, kids between the ages of 13-18 should get 10 hours of sleep. Since the high schools start around 7:00 am that means most kids have to wake up around 5:00 or 6:00 am which would make kids have to go to bed at 7:00 or 8:00 pm which most high schoolers do not do.     

Another issue that results from lack of sleep is car accidents. Most high schoolers don't live to close to school so they drive with an older sibling or once they are old enough to get there liscence they drive to school. The dangerous part about driving to school in the morning is that many people behind the wheel are tired because of having to wake up so early. The National Sleep Foundation estimated that 100,000 car crashes are caused by people being fatigued. So if we make school start about an hour or two hours later than people won't be as tired and there won't be as many crashes and more kids will actually remember the things that are told to them during school. 

Thank you for your time Mr. or Mrs. President and I hope you take these ideas into consideration and cut school back to help the kids of the future be successful.

Tim Reed

Upton, Massachusetts 

NSF. "Facts and Stats." Drowsy Driving Stay Alert Arrive Alive RSS. National Sleep Foundation, n.d. Web. 25 Oct. 2016.

Psychology Degree. "Sleep Statistics & Research." Sleep Statistics & Research. Mattress and More, 2011. Web. 27 Oct. 2016.

Nipmuc High School

A Block WEX II

Honors Class