Annika D. Utah

The Dreaded Student Debt

High school student's worries for the future.

I invite you to take a gander into the life of a high school senior. Around this time of the year the average seniors’ lives are full of stress. Not only to perform to our best abilities in school and our regular activities but also to dive into what we think we would like our future to be like. These days are full of research in pursuit of the optimal college fit.

Once you have uncovered the college or university for you it is application time, where we brag ourselves up as best possible in a way we believe would most motivate the application office to deem us fit for their school. Yet, getting into college seems like a simple task compared to the magic act of conjuring up the money necessary to attend. This may lead you to scrounging about to find scholarships, asking people around you for help, penny pinching, and even resorting to the deadly student loans. All this work simply to get to where you belong.

I have yet to reach this step in my actions towards attending college but it is always on the back of my mind. This impending doom is what worries me the most about college. No matter if I am admitted into the college of my dreams I may or may not be able to attend.

This entire ordeal is what I would like you to think about when considering the future of our country. I am a lucky one who is well aware of the steps needed to take to work the system to my best advantage, but consider the thousands of brilliant men and women that are held back from achieving their fullest potential due to the fact that they simply don’t have the same resources the rest of us have. So please, future president, bet on the future of the United States and make the moves to create a change in our education system.

Annika Dean, Floundering Student