Lexie

Gun Control Now!

We need stricter laws!

My name is Lexie, and I go to a school in a suburb of Cleveland Ohio. I believe there is a serious issue that needs to be fixed. Gun control has become a very big issue in the United States over the years. In the United States there are 88.8 guns per 100 people, which is about 270,000,000 guns, causing many massive shootings. The 2nd Amendment states "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." I am not against the 2nd Amendment, but I think there needs to be stricter gun rules. I also think that there should be stricter background checks. Random people are getting guns off the street and shooting others for no reason. Many have even been killed or seriously injured from shootings, and this issue needs to be fixed by you.

There are many injuries from gun violence. Gun-control.procon.org states that in 2010 there were 36,341 emergency room visits and 25,024 hospitalizations for gun injuries, costing an estimated $6.3 million. People say that the 2nd Amendment protects an individual's rights to own a gun and guns are used to protect people from crimes or invaders. Then, they became a problem and guns are now used for crime and harm of others. In 2012, guns were one of the top 20 highest causes of death in America. Also, according to gunviolencearchive.org a total of 47,957 people have died or got injured from gun violence in 2016. The rules of owning a gun need to be more strict for the safety of the people. There needs to be more background checks. Also. because there are more guns than people in this country the government can’t find these guns because they don’t have enough resources and money.

I think this issue should get your immediate attention because of the amount of guns that people have is an incredible amount. Kids go to school to learn new things so that maybe one day they can change the future of our world, but massive school shootings can ruin opportunities for kids to learn more. It is very unfortunate to see kids who are trying to learn be injured or killed from a school shooting. In Newtown Connecticut, a 20 year old man killed 27 people at Sandy Hook Elementary School. 20 children ages six and seven were killed, including six adults. It is very sad to see an innocent person killed or injured from a shooting. Image your child sitting at school learning and then being killed by a random person with a gun. It is very depressing to hear stories of these people who have lost their life from this gun violence. Not much has been done to stop this gun violence that actually works. Gun laws are not strict enough, and there obviously needs to be better background checks. You, the next President could fix this issue to help the people of the Unites States of America, you can end this violence and save many lives from being lost. By creating more gun control laws and greater background checks, we can stop all of these actions from ever coming up again.

Lexie 

Mrs. K's Social Studies Class

Social Studies 8-1

An 8th grade social studies class.