Destini North Dakota

BULLYING AND MORE

Bullying has become more and more of an issue in the United States.

November 2,2016

Today I am writing to you about a matter that I believe is an issue all over the world. However, I believe it is a very strong situation in the United States.This issue is bullying. Bullying is a major issue across the globe. However it is extremely problematic in the United. Bullying causes many problems in our society and many other societies.

First, according to www.dosomething.org, 3.2 million students are bullied each day,weather it be cyber, verbal, or physical. Some children believe that adults don't take the matter seriously(dosomething.org),believing many adults will simply say to ignore them.In my opinion ignoring them doesn't mean they are going to stop. Bullies want a reaction from the person they bully. Whether the bully-victim shows a reaction or not does not matter. Many times I have been bullied and whether I showed a reaction or not did not matter they still continued to bully me.17% of American students are picked on 2 to 3 times a month in a single semester(dosomething.org).Thirdly, According to dosomething.org, 1 in 4 teachers see nothing wrong with bullying and only will intervene about 4% of the time(dosomething.org).67% of students believe that schools respond poorly to bullying(dosomething.org).

Next, 30% of bully-victims are self-harm triggered by the bullying(dosomething.org). I know how that is because I have had friends self harm because of bullying and I also have self harmed because of bullying. 10% have already tried to commit suicide because of bullying some even succeeding in it(do something.org). Sometimes the bully says for the victim to kill themselves or that the world is better off without them. I also have experienced this. I'm a sophomore and back in seventh grade I was told people were better off without me and I honestly started to believe them.

Thirdly, Bullying also affects graduating. I know this because when my brother was a sophomore he dropped out of school because of bullying. The bullying got so bad that he didn't want to go to school anymore.Eventually he just dropped out because of it. It is a proven fact that CDC suicide is the third leading cause of death between ages 10 to 24. Four thousand four hundred people's lives lost a year. 7 to 9% of bully victims commit suicide(dosomething.org).It is proven that those who have anxiety, depression, bipolar disorder, or insomnia are at a higher risk at suicide than others. On average there are 117 suicides per day(dosomething.org). Around 42,773 Americans are lost everyday(www.nobullying.com) Studies in Britain have discovered half of youth suicides are related to bullying(nobullying.com).

Bullying is a serious problem in the United States. Bullying needs to come to an end. It hurts not only those being bullied but their loved ones too. Something needs to be done about this issue in the United States,and I believe you can do that. So please take the time to end bullying.

Destini Hurt