Monay Harris

Letter to Future President

This is about Gun violence.

Dear next President

I bring to you this story about gun violence because i think this is a serious issue because i experience it.I know that my uncle got shot on his way home from school real late at night and there was these boys who went to the same school as him and so knowing my uncle is a intelligent young man and unique and different in his own way always stayed to himself but because of that the boys who didn’t like him were jealous. On his way home they shot him before he could turn around or do anything it was too late. He was seventeen when this happen. He was my first and only last uncle from my grandma It hurts to hear this story because i wasn’t even born to meet him. Now ever since that happened my family has falling apart.

In the article called Injury chop hospital it saids that there has been mass of shootings in the past year. People were killed and wounded. Innocent people are in a danger because of this. As a human being on this earth and seeing these things just moves me feel like wow this is really becoming a bigger problem than what it was and that it’s not a joke and it’s getting worse. The first time i really thought about this this was really when i started reading these articles and stories and watching the new. I knew there were things going on and that people were in danger but i didn’t really know that more people were being killed then what i thought . So now that i hear about this i am taking this serious because not only do it affect me but other people too such as my family.

It said in the article called philly.com/news since 2006, more than 14,500 people have been shot in philadelphia, a rate of one shooting every six hours. Shootings have declined by 38 percent since 2006, when the rate was one shooting every 4 hours and 22 minutes. Homicides by firearm in philadelphia,83 percent of homicide victims over the last 10 years were killed with a firearm. The total of 2,629 gun deaths is enough to fill the academy of music. In the article called which states have the highest rate of gun deaths said that there is a connection between states with higher gun ownership rates of overall and homicides,but not higher rates of non-gun. homicides. In the U.S in 2011, 67 percent of homicide victims were killed using a firearm:66 percent of single-victim homicides and 79 percent of multiple-victim homicides.

Guns are currently being used in this society for murders,celebration, hunting and gang activity. Guns are used in the drill team, for war and by the police. Guns basically shouldn’t be used in such ways where others could be harmed or killed. They should only be used for self-defense to protect themselves . The Gun Owners Foundation says that guns save more lives than they take and prevent more injuries than they inflict.

Sincerely, Monay Harris

Cristo Rey Philadelphia High School

Angelou

Upload your letter here.