Marissa Z. California

LGBTQ+ Community Deserves Rights

Many members of the LGBTQ+ community everywhere feel like they are not welcome in this country and this article says why.

Hello President;

I am writing you this letter, because I feel that there is a big issue on our hands that isn’t getting much attention. Why can’t they go to the bathroom? The answer? People shame members of the LGBTQ+ community from being who they are and going into the “wrong” bathroom. These sweet caring people are also shunned by their families and friends for being who they are. What do you think life is like for this awesome and large group of people?

The LGBTQ+ community everywhere should be treated more fairly, because right now, these people are being bullied to the point where they commit suicide and they still have less rights than any heterosexual person.Everyday, people in the LGBTQ+ community everywhere are committing suicide because they are being bullies and even rejected by their own friends and family. CBSNews conducted a survey that went out to about 500 members of the LGBTQ+ community. This survey showed that 30% of the respondents have been physically attacked or threatened due to their sexuality, 39% of the respondents say that their own families and friends have rejected them, and 53% of all the respondents claim that they still feel discriminated against. (CBSNews) A different study conducted by S.P.E.A.K. (Suicide Prevention Education Awareness for Kids) claims that 30% of LGBTQ+ kids have attempted suicide more than once around the age of 15 and that about 1,500 LGBTQ+ youth commit suicide each year.

The people who are in the LGBTQ+ community have way less rights than those who aren’t.Firstly, people who are in the LGBTQ+ community are being discriminated against even as adults. ESME lists a few of these examples. 52% of LGBTQ+ adults are able to be fired from their jobs, simply based off of their sexuality. Also, imagine going into a movie theatre or a clothing store and getting ready to make a purchase, when all of a sudden the cashier says you can’t buy anything. Why would this happen? Mostly every business has the right to refuse service to anyone. This mainly happens to gay and lesbian people when they are with their partners, or even if they look gay. Sadly, being gay, lesbian, binary, transgender, or queer can also have an effect during a custody battle. Even though most judges claim to be unbiased, they often give sole custody to the heterosexual parent. Another example is the Bathroom Bill. The Bathroom Bill is a bill in california that allows binary and transgender people use the bathroom in which they identify as. Even though this bill was passed, many people still refuse to let a transgender woman into the women's bathroom, or a binary person born a male into the female’s bathroom. It is sad and unwanted hatred that these people don’t deserve.

On the other hand, it is reasonable for people to think that the LGBTQ+ community shouldn’t be equal, because it wasn’t they grew up believing. True the LGBTQ+ community doesn’t have as many rights, but it is a huge leap forward from just 14 years ago. In 2001, 57% of american adults were against same sex marriage, but now in 2016, only 37% of american adults are against same sex marriage. Also, for most adults born before 1970, they were taught that being a homosexual was a bad thing. (Pew Research Center) If I were raised learning something, I can’t just automatically forget about it. This makes it an understandable idea for heterosexual people to dislike the idea of the LGBTQ+ community getting the same amount of rights as them, but that still doesn’t mean it is the right thing.

All in all, the LGBTQ+ community is being treated as things less than human. Herb Ritts, an american fashion photographer, once so wisely said, “Being an American is about having the right to be who you are. Sometimes that doesn't happen.” It is not right for homosexuals to be shamed for who they truly are and something has to change for the outstanding people who are being shamed for it.

Best of luck,

Marissa Z.

@TeenHelpcom. "Gay Bullying Statistics - Bullying Statistics." Bullying Statistics. Wordpress, 07 July 2015. Web. 03 Nov. 2016.

Clifton, Derrick. "11 Major Obstacles to Equality That LGBT Americans Still Face in 2014." Mic. Identities.Mic, 25 Oct. 2015. Web. 03 Nov. 2016.

Dumesnil, Cheryl. "Five Essential Rights LGBT Parents Still Don't Have." ESME. ESME, 31 Aug. 2015. Web. 03 Nov. 2016.

Hartogs, Jessica. "Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender Survey Finds Nearly 4 in 10 Rejected by Family or Friend." CBSNews. CBS Interactive, 2016. Web. 03 Nov. 2016.

Lexenton, Jackson. "SPEAK: Suicide Prevention Education Awareness for Kids." SPEAK: Suicide Prevention Education Awareness for Kids. S.P.E.A.K., Oct. 2015. Web. 03 Nov. 2016.

Mitchell, Travis. "Changing Attitudes on Gay Marriage." Pew Research Center's Religion Public Life Project RSS. Pew Research Center, 12 May 2016. Web. 05 Nov. 2016.

Diablo Vista Middle School

Zhebel - English 8

Zhebel - English 8