KZ Oklahoma

Science, Discovery, and Its Consequences

Human genome editing, super bacteria, climate change

After all of the craziness over the election has died down, I hope that you take time to consider important issues that will most definitely affect the future of our world in a nonpartisan way. Regardless of which way you lean, I believe that taking the time to review how the consequences of new technological innovations should be addressed.

First of all, a new technology has recently emerged called CRISPR CAS-9 which would allow for scientists to use bacterial technology to change specific genes in the human genome. Although this could be used for good (preventing genetic diseases, inserting immunities to other diseases, etc.) the problem of "designer babies" has arisen and is not a "future" problem any longer. Specific legislation should be pushed through so that the guidelines can be put into place before successful human trials are accomplished. We cannot address this issue before it's too late.

Secondly, a serious threat that the world faces as a whole is the growth of 'super bacteria' which are resistant to the antibiotics that we take for granted everyday. Already, 2 million Americans are infected annually with these bacteria and the numbers will only increase with time. Without sufficient funds into research and development, a sufficient solution to the problem cannot be found in time.

Last but not least, climate change. Although this may seem overstated and cliché, that is only because it is an important issue. Policies that can address this issue need to be seriously considered and those that have proven to work need to be implemented. As a global superpower, it is even more important that the United States takes this issue to heart in order to set an example. Not only that, but our country contributes greatly to this problem and we need to do our part in lessening the consequences.