Seungmin Massachusetts

Weapons control need more restriction

Dear Mrs. or Mr. President, Hello, I am S. I wrote this letter to you on purpose to bring up the problem of the American weapons control and how to solve it. United States America became an one steady country on 1781. During the history, there were lots of quarrels and wars. Thus, now America has been framed. However, we, the America still is struggling with the weapon control. Especially about guns control, the second amendment. Some people say the people have authority to protect themselves, and other say, because of weak weapons control, a lot of innocent people were dying. I am going to illustrate about the weaknesses of now day’s gun control pursuant to the moral problems and the solutions for the weapon controls. First of all, as a result of lots of people own the firearm, a lot of accidents happen in home, school, even on public places. International Business Times says “By the end of 2015, about 265 children under 18 picked up a firearm and shot someone by accident, and 83 of those shootings were fatal, according to research compiled by the gun control group Every town for Gun Safety. Some 41 of those deaths involved the shooters themselves, and most of the shootings involved toddlers or teens who were playing recklessly with the guns.” When parents have firearms in their home, it is definitely not good for children. There are two reasons for this. First, it is extremely jeopardy to have guns in the home, because children can think guns are their toys. Second, the guns are literally weapons, and childhood is both essential and important time period to form their personality. Thus, guns increase the children’s mold of violent characteristic. Furthermore, the possibility of terror attack exceedingly increase. According to BBC news, the statistics of the mass shooting in 2015, there were 372 mass shootings in the US, killing 475 people and wounding 1,870, according to the Mass Shooting Tracker, which catalogues such incidents. The worse problem of the weapons control is, the state declares the limits about the gun control laws. The federal government checks license, but the state can alter the government’s laws as the way as they want. Therefore, 36 states have no legal requirements, no permit to own the firearms nor license. According to a recent study in The American Journal of Medicine, the United States’ citizens owned 25 times more weapon in their home, than other high-income countries’ citizens. I came from Korea. The most shocking fact that I found in US is, every day, more than one baby dies because of the accidents that happened by gun violence. In Korea, all guns are banned by the federal laws. If you want to use the gun, you must have the license and register the gun that you used. Thus, there are almost no gun violence in Korea. Therefore, weapon control should be restrict and require the documents for using guns. “Restrict” does not mean banned all guns or firearms; it means people should deeply think about gun violences. All weapons have huge responsibility to use them, because they are created on purpose to harm or kill the people. Because of many people owned the guns, some people did not realize a gun is a dangerous weapon. The real purpose of second amendment was, in 18 century, the colonists wanted to protect themselves from the British troops, so they decided to free to own a gun in their home. Ironically, now days people are possessing the gun to protect themselves from the other gun violences. Hence, the national government demand the requirements for the guns and license to use the guns. November 4th, 2016 Sincerely, S

Baker ELA

Yellow

Letters to the Next President