Oskar Massachusetts

Deportation Delema

Oskar Baldwin 11-4-16 Yellow-ELA Dear Madam or Mr. President, My name is Oskar, I am thirteen years old. I am an eighth grader at the Edith C. Baker School in Brookline, MA. If someone has already made a life here are you just going to send them back home? Will they have a choice to become a citizen or are they being forced to leave, I personally think that if they have any criminal record as an undocumented immigrant then they shouldn’t have any choice but if they are working and have a family then they should get a choice to become a citizen. I am personally connected to this topic because I have an uncle who isn’t a citizen but he is constantly coming back to check on his wife and two children. First I feel that we need a way to get some of the undocumented immigrants to either become a citizen or to leave. And also we have to do this fast so that they can’t have kids and then have to separate their families, because we want to find a way to not separate them but fix this problem. In a New York Times article By Liam Stack and Christine Hauser written on NOV. 1, 2016 they wrote, “Adam Crapser was adopted from South Korea nearly four decades ago, but today he languishes in an immigration detention center in Washington State awaiting deportation….Mr. Crapser, 41, built a life in Oregon, got married and raised children but will soon be forced to leave the country in which he has lived since he was 3 for South Korea.” Secondly, it is definitely not fair to split up a family, would you want your family split up? Also we can’t have people that aren’t on our records live in and work in our country because what if they commit a crime? Then we will have no choice but to give them a trial and possibly put them in jail or deport them. All of which take up time and money that we could be spending on other things like the army, or our roads. In another New York Times article by Andy Ostroy on OCT. 24, 2016 he wrote, “Adrienne, an actor and filmmaker, had been brutally murdered by a 19-year-old undocumented Ecuadorean construction worker; he later said they were having an argument and, fearing she would report him and have him deported, he killed her and staged her death so it would appear to be a suicide.” Or if they want to get a job, they wouldn’t be paying taxes, that would be bad. I think that the next president should know that we as a country have a lot of undocumented immigrants and that there are a lot of people who live here but don’t pay taxes and aren’t on our records. If I were a president I would probably give everyone the option to become a U.S. citizen and if they refused then they would have to be deported even if they had family members here because then the family could just go back to the other country with the deported member. Also I feel that we have to do this quickly because we have other topics that are just as important that have to be solved as well.

Baker ELA

Yellow

Letters to the Next President