Andrew A. Illinois

Issues in the U.S.

As a new president, you must plan carefully and efficiently in order to resolve the issues in the U.S., and to make this country great again.

Dear Mr. Trump,

America is in a state of uncertainty. The issues within the U.S. are countless, and each will take time and dedication to resolve. The certain actions that you take on specific issues will have a positive effect on some, while a negative effect on others. To make America great again, the actions you take to resolve the wide span of issues within the country should be considered carefully, but also efficiently.

Before the devastating 9/11 happened, it seemed like there was a more lenient view of Muslims entering the U.S. Nowadays, the tight security, and the strong prejudice and racism towards Muslims from people of the U.S. is very present in this country. On Twitter, you said yourself, “Muslims should be treated no differently than sex offenders.” This further boosted the prejudice and hate against Muslims. As a nation following the system of equality for all, I feel like Muslims deserve as much respect and justice as the common white American male. Prejudice and racism is also endured by African Americans. Many black American citizens still face aspects of horrific 1940s racism today. One fact stands out: “After being arrested, African-Americans are 33% more likely than whites to be detained while facing a felony trial in New York.” This high detainment rate isn’t only limited to New York either. It just goes to show that this issue must be taken away from our nation as soon as possible to relieve the pain and fear of a large portion of society.

Another issue in the United States is gun control. On your website, you say that you are going to “defend the rule of law and the Constitution of the United States.”

This stance will not please everyone, for this is a very debated issue, with half of the population of the U.S. wanting more gun control, and the other half wanting less gun control. In fact, no one course of action will please everyone in this scenario. This issue is not to be taken lightly. Instead, to address the U.S. population on the subject of gun control, you must plan carefully, and reinforce your stance on the subject, to keep America running smoothly.

On November 6, 2012, you tweeted that “the concept of global warming was created by and for the Chinese in order to make U.S. manufacturing non-competitive.” According to NASA, atmospheric carbon dioxide on earth has never been above 300 ppm (parts per million) until the Industrial Revolution. Today, the atmospheric carbon dioxide level is 404.93 ppm. This is causing the global temperature to rise 1.7 degrees Fahrenheit since 1880, and has also decreased the minimum arctic ice to lower 13.3 percent per decade. This is a real issue, and isn’t only limited to the U.S., but instead to the entire world. We need to be open to learning more about climate change, and to accept that climate change is a real thing. Earth is the only planet we have, and we must take care of it if we want to keep living here. To solve this problem, all countries have to work together to quickly put an end to the warming (and destroying) of this planet.

Issues within the U.S. will not all disappear in a night, but if everyone worked together to attack these issues, they would cease to exist. It is up to you, President Trump, to carefully and effectively guide us all in the right direction. 

Metea Valley High School

Metea Valley Sophomore English

All sophomore students at Metea Valley High School wrote letters to President-Elect Trump, voicing their issues on ideas that are important to them. These letters were part of a three-week project, where we learned about rhetorical situation; types of claims; types of evidence; and embedding quotes.