Ellen R. Illinois

Gun Control Laws Aren't Working.

People have the right to bare weapons, but why is our country so violent?

Dear Mr. Trump,

Believe it or not, 36 people each day are affected by guns. This does not include suicides. Furthermore, young children are becoming murders because they get ahold of unprotected guns. Want to go out on a Friday night to go see a movie? That was the plan for 82 people in Aurora, Colorado attending the Century 16 movie theater until one person put an end to the night. A gunman came in with teargas and multiple firearms. A total of 70 people were hospitalized that night, and 12 were killed..

We both believe that Americans should be able to bare arms and allowed to use guns to protects themselves. This is part of the 2nd Amendment and something everyone should respect but, gun control is the most contentious social and political issue. Another incident occurred in 1991, Suzanna Hupp was at a popular Texas restaurant with her parents.She owned a gun, but left it in the car because there was a law against concealed carry in the state at the time. A gunman came in the restaurant and killed 24 people, including Suzanna’s parents. Suzannas said “I’m confident that I could have stopped the shooting spree if I had my gun.” In some cases like this one, guns can protect people, but today, are guns protecting or hurting people more?

I believe our families are endangered in places that should be safe, but we can put a stop to it. Making it harder for the wrong people to get guns in their hands will drop the mass shooting rate and have less deaths per year. At state prisons, there was a national survey that inmates took who admitted to having guns when being arrested. Ninety percent obtained guns from fellow gang members. This was similar to a study in Chicago and how gang members get their guns. The study showed that only a very small percent of people obtain guns by a direct purchase from a store. So far in 2016, we have had 50,909 and counting incidents with guns. There has been 1,880 incidental shootings, 2,137 home invasions, and 345 mass shootings. All which could have been prevented. We are constantly hearing on the news about deaths and murders that have happened, and it has come to a point where the number of deaths per day is too high. Parents are sending their kids to school and expecting to see them at the end of the day, That did not happen to the parents who sent their kids to Sandy Hook Elementary School on December 14th, 2012. Shootings even happen in churches. . On April 24, 2016 a man was killed when he was on the altar giving a speech. I believe these are places should be safer than they are today.

The United States has higher rates of homicides from guns that Pakistan. If I were to be The President of the United States, I would want to make a few changes in the system. By making changes that would prevent the deaths of thousands of children and adults, you would also prevent families from grieving. I believe that there are some places that could be safer than they are today.

Work Cited

@newsmax. "Man Shot, Killed During Church Service in Pennsylvania." Newsmax. N.p., 24 Apr. 2016. Web. 21 Nov. 2016.

@kleachkemon. "Visualizing Gun Deaths - Comparing the U.S. to Rest of the World." Humanosphere. N.p., 13 June 2016. Web. 21 Nov. 2016.

Cook, Philip. "In Opinion: Gun Control-where Do Criminals Get Their Weapons?" Newsweek. N.p., 12 May 2016. Web. 21 Nov. 2016.

Metea Valley High School

English 2, Period 7

Mr. Page's very-totally-awesome 7th period English 2 class at Metea Valley High School in Aurora, IL.