Manas Illinois

Homework Should Not Invade Your Life

Home is where people go to relax and spend time with their friends and family, not work. School should not follow you home and ruin your only safe getaway.

Hello, Mr. Trump

Have you ever stayed up all night doing homework only to find out that it is barely worth anything at all? I have. I learned from that and put down random answers because it was a completion grade, only to find out that it was an accuracy grade. Homework is having a toll on kids academically, physically, and mentally, leading to ineffective learning and other problems. However, things can be done to fix this. School gives out too much homework and kids are suffering because of it.

Homework doesn’t even prepare you for the test due to many reasons. One of the reasons is the material on the homework is different from the test. For example, Homework: 1+1=2, Test: 50+(100*2)= 250. Another reason homework is ineffective is because it's worthless. Homework is a usually a completion grade, so students write down random stuff and don't fully understand the material.

One of the biggest reasons homework is ineffective is because when too much homework is given it keeps students up all night leading to one of the biggest downsides of homework: sleep deprivation. Sleep deprivation can cause the brain to become exhausted and makes the brain not perform its duties well. A lack of sleep can interfere with the brain’s ability to concentrate and learn new things, which is very bad when you are in school trying to learn.

Another big disadvantage of homework is that it is very stressful. Students are already going through a stressful day at school and homework is just adding more stress to their day. Students do not need to endure stress every single day at all times. Stress can be very dangerous. Stress makes it difficult to control your emotions. People who are stressed out are more likely to be exposed to chronic diseases like cancer, lung disease, and cirrhosis of the liver. Some of these diseases are the leading causes of death in America. Stress can also affect a person’s relationships because stress makes it difficult to control your emotions. Stress is also linked to other problems like gum disease. One of the biggest things impacted by stress is your heart. Stress damages heart muscles and increases blood pressure.

All of these problems are caused by one sheet of paper with useless information on it. Another thing homework does is waste time, and time is valuable. That time could be spent by kids to exercise and play sports which decreases obesity and diabetes which are at very high rates in the U.S. Homework not only affects students, but it also affects teachers as well. More homework means more papers for teachers to grade. It's a lose-lose situation. Is a piece of paper with useless words on it really worth all that? Homework should be banned because home is to relax, not to do work. If people wanted to do work when they get home, then they might as well stay at work.

Sincerely, Manas

Metea Valley High School

English 2, Period 7

Mr. Page's very-totally-awesome 7th period English 2 class at Metea Valley High School in Aurora, IL.