Alec California

Buying a gun should be made more difficult.

Dear Mr. President,

I believe this issue needs to be talked about because gun control in the United States is a big problem. I feel that people should be allowed to own guns, but the process of buying a gun should be made more difficult.

According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (2013), “from 2001 to 2013, 406,496 people died by firearms on U.S. soil.” I feel like that number is too big and too many families are being affected by guns.  In addition, “On average, 31 Americans are murdered with guns every day” states the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (2013). What’s worse is that “firearm homicide is the second-leading cause of death for young people ages 1-19 in the U.S. according to the Brady Institute to Prevent Gun Violence (2009).

The evidence shows us that guns kill many people in the United States. Many of these people are innocent victims of this violence. I support a person’s right to bear arms as long as it is done legally. However, guns and firearms are getting into the hands of criminals and they are using the guns to commit crimes. Suicides and accidental gun deaths could possibly be prevented with stricter laws regarding gun ownership.

In conclusion, if there were better processes in place for issuing permits to buy firearms and stronger punishments for criminals that have guns illegally, then there might cause fewer deaths in the United States due to gun violence.