Emily P. California

Police Brutality and Racism

Police brutality and racism has been occurring for too long, and you have to take action before history repeats itself again.

I am writing to address the issue of racial inequality and police brutality. I’m pretty sure you as a candidate have heard about it. You should be aware that racism still exists after centuries of inequality. Discrimination shouldn’t be an issue still. Ignoring the fact that we are all humans or negatively accepting the fact doesn’t help at all. We are morally what makes America and to make that clear, racial discrimination should disappear. Even though it will be hard or maybe even impossible, I encourage for you to reduce the brutality among police and minority groups, by training police in a fundamental way so that they have a better understanding of racial inequality. I also encourage for you to make more body cameras for the police and make harsher punishments for killing civilians. You should also make a committee of professionals from various areas and making a campaign that targets discrimination and misjudgement.

According to DoSomething.org, in 47 out of 50 states, American police have killed at least one person so far this year. We understand that everyone has different personalities, and that people exhibit bad behaviors, but they shouldn’t lead to killing and violence, especially from police. Maybe they could just be making mistakes and going the wrong way, but what if the police and the judges hold fundamental racism towards Hispanic and black people. If that is the case, the problems are in our hands and we have a responsibility to fix it.

In reference to pewresearch.org, “Roughly half of the Hispanics have experienced Discrimination.” It states, “Hispanics’ experience with discrimination or treated unfairly varies greatly by age. Among Hispanics ages 18 to 29, 65% say they have experienced discrimination or unfair treatment because of their race or ethnicity.” As this text states, Hispanics are treated unlike other people and more than half of the percentages say that they have been discriminated against before. Discrimination is seen everywhere, even though we live in a free country.

To conclude, there is too much brutality among our citizens, and you have to take action before history repeats itself again.

Emily Park

Bernal Intermediate

Mrs. Fresh's Freshest Class

We are the leaders of tomorrow and we care. We have astonishing points of view on society and the challenges we need to deal with. We are one of few 8th grade classes who are writing, talking and standing up for our cause whether it be discrimination or corruption we have no fear, we will stand!. We are very passionate about our issues even though we can't vote. We still have a voice and want to be heard!