Anna S. Connecticut

Equality in America

Many people in our country aren't getting the equal amount of respect and rights they deserve.

While we live in the United States of America, we are not very united. People are discriminated against because of their skin color, religion, and sexuality. We are all human beings and we shouldn’t be treated differently because of these things. We should all be treated with an equal amount of respect.

A lot of people know that those who have different skin color have been discriminated against for a long time. Many people see them as criminals or are scared of them. There are some people that won't even look at a darker skinned person when they see them on the street. Meanwhile, most people of color are very kind and would never think of harming anyone. Some people also see people of color and think that they are unfit to have a job. However, there are many successful individuals in our country who have darker skin. Take Misty Copeland for example. She is a principal dancer with American Ballet Theatre and is one of the best ballerinas I have seen. She works very hard to prepare for performances and is an amazing role model for young dancers. She is just one of the many examples of successful people of color in our country. Not all people with darker skin color are criminals or unsuccessful and they should be given more respect than they are being given now. As President, you must speak out against the mistreatment of people of color.   

Our race does not make us different and neither do our religious beliefs. This is supposed to be a free country and we should be able to believe in whatever religion we want. Many people may argue that Muslims are more dangerous because the people who have committed terrorist attacks were Muslim. This doesn’t mean that all Muslims are terrorists. Many of them are very kind and don’t agree with what terrorists think. I know someone who is Muslim and she is very kind and a really good friend. I would hate to see her discriminated against just because she, coincidentally, believes in the same religion as some terrorists do. As President, please help to dispel the myth that all Muslims are terrorists.

Being treated differently because of your sexuality is unbelievable. Most people who are gay have enough trouble being comfortable with who they are and being able to tell people that they are gay. The last thing they need to worry about is not getting enough respect because of it. You should be able to be who you want to be and love who you want to love. You shouldn’t have to be told who you can and can’t love. That’s what makes love special. People in the LGBT community also have trouble finding jobs. 21% of people in the LGBT community have been discriminated against when they are trying to get hired. These people need jobs just like everyone else does. They need money to buy the things they need to be able to live their lives. As President, you must make sure that the gay marriage law continues to exist and is enforced and that more people understand what the LGBT community is and how they are just like you and me.

As President, you must vow to protect these most vulnerable citizens of our country. Please watch to see if anyone treats them unfairly or tries to harm them. If you do see an injustice being committed against these people, you must find a way to change it. Whether you make a new law or give a speech on how we should be treating these kinds of people, something must be done to make a change. We are all human beings and we have different characteristics that make us who we are. Having different skin color, believing in a different religion, or loving someone who is the same sex as you doesn't mean you aren't human. Please take these matters into consideration. 

Anna S.

Greenwich High School

English 113

English 113