Bret Massachusetts

College Tuition

Even though a college education is important, the expenses for going to college is egregious in the United States. Many students are required to obtain a student loan, putting more stress on the student that should be focusing on studying rather than on paying off the loan.

A college education is extremely important. It further develops the brains of young adults and helps students expand their field of study. College students can also learn how to live on their own and can make new friends throughout their years of attending. These benefits should be obtainable to all; they are important to know throughout the journey of life. However, this is not the case. In the United States, a college tuition is very expensive. According to the College Board, the average cost of tuition and fees for the 2015–2016 school year was $32,405 at private colleges, $9,410 for state residents at public colleges, and $23,893 for out-of-state residents attending public universities. All public colleges in Germany, Iceland, Norway and Finland are free for residents and international students, and some private schools in the European Union do not charge for tuition. This is clearly very different than in the United States, where a college tuition is next to unaffordable for some.

Along with the financial issues of college tuition brings up another problem. Many students looking to attend college will most likely be forced to get a student loan. While this may seem like an "easy fix" on the surface, "easy fixes" almost never end happily. A student loan puts students in a bad position for school; the students will be worrying more about paying off the loan than the actual reason they are attending: to learn, study, and grow.

The problem with college tuition in the United States can also affect how someone feels about his or herself. A student may be put into a state in which he or she may feel worthless about his or herself because he or she may think that the only way to get into an adequate college is through a scholarship so the cost of college can decrease. Not everyone is capable of earning a scholarship, and those that aren't may feel like they aren't smart or "good enough."

I feel that everyone should have an equal opportunity of attending college, even if it means cutting the expenses to make it affordable. Thank you, future President, for taking time out of your busy schedule to read through this suggestion.

Thank you,

Bret H.

Sources:

Redd, Luke. "Should College Be Free? Pros, Cons, and Alternatives." Should College Be Free? Pros, Cons, and Alternatives. N.p., n.d. Web. 07 Nov. 2016.

Nipmuc High School

F Group WEX II

Honors