Daniel K. Idaho

College Tuition

College tuition is the main reason many can't go to college. It's overpriced.

College can be fun and stressful sometimes, but worrying about whether or not you will be going to college can be tough. You don’t know what college you will go to. The biggest problem of all is how to get there. College tuition can be a bit pricey for some people and because of the price, they can’t go to college. College tuition has been rising, but that needs to stop if more kids are to go to college.

Over the past twenty years, the average tuition at private colleges universities went up by 179 percent. According to “U.S. News”, one of the most expensive colleges in the U.S. is Columbia University in New York, New York at $55,056. Although it is one of the best universities, other public colleges range from $10,000 to $35,000.

Schools are competing for students by working to get the best faculty, facilities, campus, and all of those kinds of things. As these “improvements” are made, the price grows so that they can get the best equipment and facilities. Sure, everything is great and all, but that makes everyone pay more and so less and less people get to go to college.

Many people get to go to college, but not one they want. According to Emily Jane Fox in the article, “I Got Into My Dream School, but Can’t Afford to Go”, a kid named David Nguyen worked to get into Tufts University and made it. Tufts University is a school in Boston in the top 30, and costs at least $63,000 a year. Because of the price, David decided not to go to Tufts University and be in debt and decided to go to the University of Michigan, where he’ll pay only $10,000 a year. Not going into debt means he may eventually get his master’s degree if he wants, in Boston. College is overpriced, and because of that, a lot of people don’t make it into college.

Money is the biggest obstacle that will never go away. It's been rising for many reasons, some them being for higher education, better teachers, and all kinds of things, but it doesn’t matter if you have the best things. It just matters on if you get any kinds of those things, whether if it’s O.K. education or semi-good teachers.College decides what happens for the rest of your life, whether you go or not. However, Mr. President, you can help kids like David go to college and let them decide what kind of life they will get. Let’s help them by lowering tuition and helping them through college.

Daniel

East Junior High

Period One

Period One Letters