Hannah California

Make America Pro-Choice

Women should not be forced to keep a baby if they aren't ready. The woman who is carrying the baby should have the decision if she wants an abortion or not.

Having a child is a big responsibility and some people aren’t ready for that challenge. I would like to address the controversial topic of abortion and the two sides: pro-choice and pro-life. People who take the stance of pro-choice believe the woman has the right to decide to keep or not keep the baby. Pro-life describes the stance that a woman shouldn’t have the choice of what to do with the baby they are carrying. I believe that it is not anyone else’s say besides the woman who is carrying the baby. 

Woman usually get an abortion because they aren’t ready to take care of a newborn or aren’t ready for that lifestyle. Abortion should therefore not be the government’s decision. I believe that women should have the right to get an abortion because it is a major lifestyle change and it’s not for everyone to bring life into the world. Also, some women aren’t in a physically or mentally stable enough condition to give birth. Rape is also a factor to consider because women should not have to carry the child of someone who sexually abused them. According to Health Research Funding, 14,000 women a year have an abortion due to rape.

However, pro-lifers believe that abortion is another word for murder and some may even think that there should be punishment for women who decide to get an abortion. According to Health Research Funding, the risk of death (to the mother) during childbirth is 10 times higher than the risk of death (to the mother) during an abortion. People against abortion call themselves “pro-life” but abortion can save the life of the mother in some cases. 

In order to make keep America pro-choice, the government should provide more free birth control and health care professionals who can guide the woman in decision-making regarding birth and families. We should continue funding Planned Parenthood because they help prepare low-income mothers to care for a newborn and help provide other options to the mother if she feels she cannot care for a newborn.

Hannah 

Newbury Park High School

English 11IB period 2B

High school English IB course