Ridah M. Georgia

Discrimination

Discrimination is a huge problem that needs to be addressed. With the help of the government, discrimination could end.

Discrimination is a huge problem that needs to be focused on. Some people have never been discriminated against, so they don’t know how it feels. On the other hand, there are many people who face it every day. It’s not fair that people have to face this constant judgment. Everyone deserves to live their life in peace.

“Discrimination is a hellhound that gnaws at Negroes in every waking moment of their lives to remind them that the lie of their inferiority is accepted as truth in the society dominating them,” Martin Luther King Jr. directly addressed racism during a speech. Racism is a very common type of discrimination. In the United States, blacks have been facing racism the longest. There was a time when they were slaves and didn’t get the same rights as whites. Some people may think that blacks don’t face it anymore, but that’s wrong. Different people are still targeted today. Blacks aren’t the only ones who face discrimination. Many Asians face different types of discrimination. It can go from calling someone a “banana” to refusing to hire them, because of their name. This shows that, no matter who you are, there could always be someone who discriminates against you.

One of the highest points of discrimination was when Adolf Hitler was in power. Hitler discriminated against Jewish people. He had concentration camps that he would keep all the Jews in. Many men, women, and children died in these concentration camps. Anne Frank is an example of someone who had to live in constant fear that she or her family was going to get captured.

Another high point of discrimination against religion was after 9/11. After 9/11, Muslims weren’t treated the same. People assumed that all Muslims were terrorists. To this day, Muslims are discriminated against. A main reason for that are terrorist groups, but no one realizes that Islam is about peace and kindness. There is a difference in taking precaution and discriminating against people.

“Married at ten, fired at noon.” This is the cruel reality some couples face. Many gay couples are treated unfairly, because of their love interest. Over the years, society has become more supportive of gay people and couples. Yet, these couples still worry about the judgment that could possibly await them. They think twice about small things like, holding each other’s hands. Teens sometimes are more open than adults. The entertainment industry has influenced the way society thinks. People like Tyler Oakley have shown society that they are no different than we are. TV shows like “The Fosters” and “Pretty Little Liars” that include gay couples influence how teens think. However, TV shows and YouTube are not going to stop discrimination.

There are many ways the government can help end this discrimination. One way to contribute is to make some sort of act. For example, if a boss fires an employee, then they should have a valid reason that can be backed up. If they don’t give a valid reason, then the employee should have the right to sue the boss. This is just one of the many things that can help end discrimination.

It’s scary to think that society has such a big impact on our daily lives and how people can make us feel a certain way. These are only a few types of discrimination that goes on. If discrimination is ever going to be resolved, then the government needs to get involved. As president, you should bring more awareness to discrimination. Help unite this broken country.

Ridah M.