Maddie R. Kentucky

It's Now or Never, Stop Climate Change!

Climate change is hurting the environment. We must do something to stop it because global warming is caused by humans, and must be stopped by humans.

America. When people think of America they think of a land of dreams, hope, opportunities, and freedom. During times of war, hunger, depression, loss, economic downfalls, and government oppression and dictatorships, people often think of the U.S. as a place where they can start over again, and create a better life of freedom, safety, and joy. While we are one of the greatest countries in the world, we also have our faults. We have our struggles and downfalls, and our problems and issues. In the end these issues will be addressed by the great people of America, but if change is to happen, someone must start it.

Who better than the President of the U.S., our leader, to be the first one to act as a supporter of change? Offering solutions to problems could bring us closer to world peace. This is why I believe that our next president, you, should help improve some of the main issues in our country today. I believe that climate change is a strong issue that will continue to negatively impact Earth if it is not stopped. Climate change  is harming the world and making its environment worse for all people. You, as the President of the United States must do something to improve the ways that Americans consume electricity and fossil fuels, because climate change is caused by humans, and must be stopped by humans.

What is Global Warming?

According to oxforddictionaries.com climate change is,"A change in global or regional climate patterns, in particular a change apparent from the mid to late 20th century onwards and attributed largely to the increased levels of atmospheric carbon dioxide produced by the use of fossil fuels." Humans consume massive amounts of fossil fuels like coal, oil, and natural gas. When we drive our car, turn on our warm water, turn on a light, or turn on any electrical device, we use energy that is created by factories and large power companies. Where do these companies get their energy? By using fossil fuels! These fuels are burned into the air, releasing gases that harm the environment. Over time it adds up, warming the Earth little by little, and creating huge problems in the atmosphere and environment.

This graph shows the rising average global temperature as climate change increases. We need to help it decrease, or at least slow down the upward trend. (www.bbc.co.uk)

How can it be Changed?

To change global warming, we must find other ways to generate the power that runs in billions of homes each day. Coal, oil, natural gas, and other fossil fuels must be changed to renewable sources like windmills and solar panels. These type of resources create wind and solar energy. There is also hydropower, geothermal energy, and biomass energy. Fossil fuels are natural resources that we find on Earth. Once they are used once, they can't be used again. On the other hand, renewable energy sources are long-lasting and environment-friendly power.  Some solar panels, windmills, and dams scattered across the country already create renewable energy, but they are few in numbers. We need more of these and fewer fossil fuels so that climate change will decrease.

What Plans can the U.S. make?

As it stated at eia.gov, "EIA estimates that U.S. motor gasoline and diesel (distillate) fuel consumption for transportation in 2015 resulted in the emission of about 1,105 million metric tons of CO2 and 440 million metric tons of CO2, respectively, for a total of 1,545 million metric tons of CO2."  If we want greenhouse gas emissions to decrease we have to start somewhere. We need a plan to establish more renewable sources throughout the country. In open fields and deserts, engineers and scientists should work out a way to install these machines, and connect them to electrical businesses and factories. While these will allow power companies to use less fossil fuels, windmills and solar panels can't power enough energy for the amount of electricity Americans use. In addition, programs should be established to make Americans aware of climate change and encourage them to not waste as much electricity. If this doesn't work incentives could be made for anyone who conserves the electricity they use each day.

This picture shows an open field with renewable energy sources like solar panels and wind mills. We need more of these in the U.S. (sciencephoto.com)

Let's stop Climate Change!

I am proud to be an American citizen. We are a country of freedom, hope, and a new life for all, but we still have many problems. Climate change is a big issue and it is getting worse each year. You, as the newly elected president of the U.S., must find a way to stop our negative contribution to global warming. By creating renewable sources like wind mills and solar panels, power companies and factories can use less fossil fuels. Not only should we change how we are getting energy, but we must also change how much energy we use each day. Programs should be created to help Americans be aware of climate change, and use less electricity. Thank you for listening to my voice about the issues in America. I hope you will consider changing them for the benefit of the world!

Bibliography

Maddie R. (Louisville, Kentucky)

NoeMiddle6Pacesetters

Pacesetters Block 4 Social Studies

Pacesetters Block 4 Social Studies