julianna California

When will we see justice?

Oppression against minorities and social changes that must be made.

Today's society faces many serious issues that have not been clearly addressed nor given much of a real solution. I'm a young citizen of the United States and want a higher and safe future not only for myself, but for future generations. Throughout many of the issues facing our country police brutality has been a major problem that continues to be relevant.

Majority of the U.S population is aware of police brutality being a main issue in our society, but yet no one seems to put a stop to it nor take the time to regulate police officers. It is one of several forms of police misconduct, which includes false arrest, intimidation, racial profiling, political repression, sexual abuse, etc. Incidents of police brutality seem to be largely influenced and triggered by racism and prejudice against ethnic minorities within a community. This underlying issue has continued to be present and relevant when examining cases of police brutality. July 28th, 2015 a 27-year-old man was suspected of being a pick pocket, was handcuffed and violently thrown into the ground. January 1st, 2015 a middle aged women was beaten and taken into custody after refusing a breathalyzer test while walking home at night. The list goes on, police brutality has lived for as long as we can remember. There has been a number of highly publicized incidents where police have either tortured, publicly, humiliated, or violently beaten people, in some cases to the point of death. Majority of the population perceive police men to be oppressors. Victims of police brutality often belong to relatively powerless groups, such as minorities, disabled, gay, the young and the poor. Our country needs a stronger political reform, empower the citizens, provide more effort in regulating policemen by giving them more classes in what they should have already learned on de-escalating situations, and avoid using excessive weapons in minor confrontations and use alternative force. Police brutality is an issue that should be the main focus on abolishing it and protecting the citizens of the United States. In order for a president to be well respected one must take part in taking action to protect the rights given and promised to all.

Julianna A.