Marco H. California

Immigration Concerns

Undocumented People in America

Dear future President,

One of the problems that you will face while you are president of the United States is illegal immigration. Many undocumented immigrants don’t just come from Mexico, but also from El Salvador, Guatemala, and many other Latin America countries. They can also come from European countries. Illegal immigration has been an issue for the last couple of decades, and up until the past 10 years has it gotten worse. Some facts about immigration are that there are over 11.1 million unauthorized immigrants in the U.S in 2014. Mexicans make up 52% of all immigrants in 2014. Over the last couple of years the number of immigrants has declined from 12 million down to 11 million.

This problem affects my city of LA because the area is getting full of undocumented people. You can drive down near downtown and you will see a lot of them in the streets. If you were driving and you get into a car accident and the other driver doesn’t have papers or a license, then you end up losing because you would have to end up paying the repairs out of your pocket or your insurance could go up in price. If they get into a hit-n-run, they will most likely not stop and help the person. They would be scared that the police would arrest them and deport them back to their native country. Although many come to have a better life or trying to help their families back in their countries, they aren’t doing it right. They are coming illegally and giving themselves a bad reputation. Immigration is one of the many problems that you’ll face while being the President of the United States.

Marco H.

Franklin High School, Los Angeles, CA

U.S. History Period 2

Students will write letters to the next president about issues that affect themselves and their communities.