Aimee New Jersey

Are Cell Phones Safe?

I am for cell phones.

Dear President-elect Trump,

One questions that frequently pops up in today’s modern culture is: “Are cell phones safe?” Cell phones are something that people use every day. Most often, people use it to communicate with others since it is the sole purpose of using it. Cell phones are a great invention, but there is great controversy about it. Hundreds of millions of Americans use cell phones, and many of them wonder if they are safe to use or pose any health risks. The reason why is because cell phones emit radiofrequency (RF) radiation. Radiation is the release of energy in the form of electromagnetic waves or moving subatomic particles. Most importantly, when the radiation comes in contact with organic material (such as human tissue), it can damage the organic material by causing burns and cancer.

According to the Wireless Association (CTIA), more than 400,000 wireless calls are made to 911. These calls to 911 are life-saving calls and save more than 400,000 Americans from life-threatening danger. 65% percent of people over the age of 65 have cell phones as a safety reason according to a poll that the American Association of Retired Persons (AARP) authorized. Though it is obvious that cell phones save tons of lives, some people think it may kill other lives.

Based on statistics and studies, however, cell phones do not cause any harmful radiation. While, they do emit radiation, the Federal Communication Commissions (FCC) is in charge of testing and certifying that the radiation emitted remains in safe levels. Any cell phone that exceeds the levels and guidelines set by the FCC is unacceptable and will not be put out on the market. Other studies have been conducted and show the association of increased cell phone use and a decreased risk of certain brain tumors. The US Government has also concluded that there is no evidence to base the fact that cell phones cause cancer or other health problems. Many organizations such as the FCC, US Government Accountability Office (GAO), and the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA), have taken part to prove this conclusion. In fact, the FDA has said that “attempts to replicate and confirm the few studies that did show a connection [between cell phone radiation and head tumors] have failed.”

All in all, cell phones and their radiation are not dangerous and do not pose any harm to people. Even though some may be concerned for their health, studies prove that there is nothing to worry about. Cell phones are innovations that save many lives daily and are deemed safe by tons of federal organizations, so what is the point in going against them?

Aimee T.