Beyza C. Ohio

You Only Have One Shot

Guns are a big problem that corrupts the U.S. today. They are the result of many deaths and injuries of innocent lives. In order to change this, we need to take specific steps in order to make having guns safer in the U.S. In this letter, theses steps are listed not to ban guns, but make them safer to have for the public.

Dear Next President;

I am writing to you today to formally address the biggest ongoing problem that pursues our country today. This problem is gun control. Guns in the U.S. cause major destruction, injuries and death to many innocent lives. Every country has its own problems and complications, the challenge is to overcome them in the right way. It is every country's duty to challenge its strength, and make it the best it can be. Today, I will discuss this problem and the solutions for it. I look forward to our next meeting to discuss this problem in more detail.

The first thing I would like to to put on the table would be more strict gun laws. I know that many people are strictly against banning guns because of the right to defend themselves in the second amendment. I have no intention of banning guns, but putting more strict gun laws and making them harder to get for our ordinary citizens. Today in the U.S. guns are not used for defense, but for attack. In the U.S. there are around 12,000 gun homicides every year, more than 200 gun injuries per day over the last five years, nearly 62% of firearm deaths are suicides, seven teens and children nineteen and under are killed with guns on an average day, nearly 51 women every month are shot to death by their intimate partners, and the homicide rate by guns in the U.S. is 25 times the average of other high income countries. These absolutely terrifying statistics are a big threat to our country and should be dealt with highest priority. https://everytownresearch.org/gun-violence-by-thmers/

The second thing I wanted to discuss was machine and military guns. In the second amendment, it states that "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." This gives people the right to defend themselves, but these machine and military guns are hardly used for defense. These guns are used for attack on innocent people in public. I propose handguns should be the only type of gun citizens should be allowed to have. The handgun provides both self defense and more security for people outside in public. https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#safe=strict&q=what+is+the+second+amendment

The last but not least law I wanted to put into effect was age limitation for having guns. In current times, different states have different age limitations for having guns. We should change this to a law for the entire U.S. that one has to be 25 or older to own a gun. This will limit young adolescents from obtaining guns, which will reduce the amount of suicides committed by a gun in the U.S. This will also prevent our youth from obtaining guns and misusing them.

These are some steps we can take to make guns for self defense and not attack in our beloved country. These new laws will not ban guns, but make having guns safer and more controlled for the citizens in the U.S. I hope that in short time, these new laws will be put into effect, and that our country will be a step closer to becoming more secure. Thank you for your time and effort.

Beyza

Hudson Middle School

HMS 8 Respect

The gathering place of fine young minds in Hudson Middle School!