Amira Missouri

Women's Rights

Women don't have the same rights as men, and it needs to change.

Did you know that women have been treated unfairly for centuries? According to the article, “Feminism Debate” by Issitt Flynn, the earliest documented women’s movement originated in the Roman Republic in the years 500-20 BCE. This fact matters because it proves that women have been treated unfairly for a long time. Men and women are equal and should be treated as such.

In medieval Europe and Asia, women were considered subordinate to men. But, women could attain leadership positions because the government was based on royalty. Americans rejected the idea of royalty and rejecting the idea of a woman leader. In the year 1848 two very brave women held a convention for women in Seneca Falls, New York. Those two women were Elizabeth Stanton and Susan B. Anthony.

Some people can get upset and say that we don’t need feminism. I disagree. I believe that we will need feminism as long as there are misogynistic people in the world. I don’t understand why people can’t accept that men and women are equal. Men just believe that women are beneath them because that’s what history has taught them.

As a result of men and women being separated for so long, women start to feel discouraged. They start to feel like they can’t do anything for themselves because society is telling them that they can’t. In schools, teen girls are getting picked for being a girl. That’s the only reason. There is no explanation.

The modern feminist movement wants equal pay. Modern feminists want to remove obstacles stopping women from getting representation in politics. They would also like to abolish misogyny.

In conclusion, I think men and women are equal. I don’t think it’s fair that women get paid less than men for doing the same job. We should have equal pay for everyone.

Amira B.