Savannah G. Missouri

Abortion is Wrong

Abortion is wrong in so many ways, not all of them can be named.

I believe that abortion should be illegal in the United States. This issue is very important to me, and it matters to others as well. There are also things that can be done to prevent the issue of abortion, it’s just a matter of who will stand up and address the issue.

This issue is important to me because abortion is murder of a helpless, unborn child. This child has no defenses, and the Bible says that God not only loves, but has a plan for ALL the little children, even the ones yet to be born. You see, I am a Christian. Abortion goes against everything that I was taught as a child, and what I am still being taught today. When a child is aborted, it has lost all chances of getting to have a normal life like you and I have. That’s why abortion is wrong: because it destroys lives. Believe it or not, almost everyone is affected by abortion. Every woman who is physically unable to have a baby is affected the most. Instead of getting an abortion, people should put the child up for adoption if they can't take care of a baby, or they are just not ready. It is a fact that abortion reduces the number of adoptable babies, and those who cannot have children are left without. Also, according to the National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS) at the Centers for Disease and Control and prevention (CDCP), the percentage of infants given up for adoption in the United States decreased from 9% in 1973 to only 1% from 1996 to 2002. Also, a June 2003 study published by the peer-reviewed International Journal of Epidemiology estimated that about 15% of first-trimester miscarriages are attributed to a prior history of induced abortion, and stated that “Induced abortion by vacuum aspiration is associated with an increased risk of first-trimester miscarriage in the subsequent pregnancy.” So, from this article, we know that women who have abortions are actually the most affected by abortions, medically, because they are more prone to have a miscarriage if they get pregnant again. Another example of how women who have abortions are most affected by them is that women who have abortions are significantly at higher risk to get breast cancer. So, to sum up, more people than we realize are affected by abortion.

To prevent the issue of abortion, there could be a law. This law would make almost all abortions illegal. Of course, if having the baby meant putting the mother or baby’s life on the line, then and only then would the abortion be legal. If there is no chance whatsoever that the mother or baby would survive, then that woman would be allowed to have an abortion to save her life. To determine whether or not having the baby would be dangerous for the woman, she would have to go talk to several doctors and get their opinions. In fact, the most common reason that women get abortions today is NOT because they can't survive if they have the baby, but rather because their form of birth control failed, so the pregnancy was an “accident”. If there was a law that said only women who can’t survive to have a baby can get abortions, there would be a significantly lower amount of abortions that take place yearly. This law could save lives, even unborn ones.

I am young, so many people may not think that I can personally relate to abortion. I can. Recently, my cousins adopted a baby. The baby was put up for adoption because the mother could not provide a good homelife for the child because she already had eight other kids and the man she was with was not around most of the time. The woman loved her baby, which is why she put her up for adoption instead of getting an abortion, even though the mother knew that she wouldn’t be able to take care of her baby. Now, Carly, the baby, is 6 months old and healthy. Because Carly’s mother did not have an abortion, Carly has the opportunity to live a normal life, with a stable homelife. Afterall, I guess that even young people like myself can relate to the major problems in our society today.

There is always a better option than abortion. When a woman gets an abortion, she literally destroys a life. That baby will now never be able to live the life that they deserve, the life that God has planned for them. In conclusion, I believe that abortion should be illegal in the United States.

Savannah G.