Nancy R. Tennessee

This letter is about a possible solution to the immigration issue we are currently having in the United States. The President has the responsibility to focus on the topic of immigration. In order, to resolve this conflict an immigration reform is needed.

Dear future President of the United States,

My name is Nancy Ramirez, and I am a freshman at Stem Preparatory High School. My parents are immigrants and have been living in the Unites States for about 16 years. Immigration is very controversial in this country due to the various perspectives people have on this topic. Nevertheless, it is an important topic that people should focus on because many immigrants are living in the United States. With the help of an influential leader of America the creation of immigration reform can become possible and solve many immigration issues.

Immigration issue is an important because the number of immigrants entering the United States continues to increase. According to the Pew Research Center, “A declining share of unauthorized immigrants have lived in the U.S. for less than five years – 14% of adults in 2014, compared with 31% in 2005. In 2014, unauthorized immigrant adults had lived in the U.S. for a median of 13.6 years, meaning that half had been in the country at least that long”. Indeed, the text demonstrates immigrants have been living in the United States for an extensive amount of time. If people continue to stay in this country for a reasonable amount of time this means that they deserve to be treated like citizens of America. This can give undocumented immigrant adults opportunities that will benefit them and help them become successful.

I am an American citizen born to immigrant parents. I am invested in this issue because I come from a family that has been prevented the chance to fulfill their rights as American citizens. For instance, my parents do not have the ability to become full citizens because they were not born in the United States. However, they have three American born children and have lived in the United states for over 10 years. Many people are in the same circumstances and although their is a possibility to change their immigration status, the process is incredibly slow.

Unfortunately, congress is against creating immigration reform for numerous reasons. President Obama tried to make progress regarding this issue but was not successful. To accomplish the immigration reform, congress has to be convinced that it will cause positive effects to our country. This can be demonstrated by showing that America’s economy will expand because if there is better education, it will lead to more working occupations. It is time that we reach a solution for the immigration status of many people in this nation. Immigrants are hardworking people that deserve to be given the same rights as a normal American citizen. It is a great way to achieve the ideal that “all Men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness.” In order to make this country great America must continue to strive for equal opportunities. 

Sincerely, Nancy Ramirez

Sources used

www.pewresearch.org                                                    

STEM Prep High School

STEM Prep High School: Nashville

The Graduating Class of 2024.