Jeraldyn

Gun Violence

In this letter to the Next President, Gun violence has gotten out of hand and we need to put an end to it.

Would you want to wake up one morning hearing that someone you love died? From a gunshot? Gun violence has gotten out of hand and you need to put an end to it! By creating a law regarding the possession of a gun in anybody's hand.

Many people have died just by simply going outside and walking. Many kids as in the age of 5 died because of gun violence. Without guns this wouldn’t be a problem. Parents would be more relaxed when letting their child go outside and play. There were 33,599 reported gun deaths in 2014, according to CDC data. That's a rate of 10.54 per 100,000 people stated by the Gun Violence Archive.

People with unauthorized guns have killed this many people from our world. Instead of being a "peaceful" country, it's more like a "killing" country. Not just in Philadelphia but in other Cities/States/Countries as well. We wouldn't like to be recognize as being that type of country now would we? Kids have been the most targeted victims. I lost a dear friend of mine by gun violence. All parents would want their child to live a bullet free life.

Being exposed to gun violence can have a deep impact on kids, including aggression, Insomnia, depression, anxiety and post-traumatic stress. It also poses a serious threat to U.S. teens and their communities. "Many young people are surrounded by constant reminders of that threat" said the Children Welfare League of America.

Gun Violence has risen a lot over the past few years. People have debated on gun regulation and keeping deadly weapons out of the hands of potential killers. Even though some people with an illness have access to guns. It puts us, as young adults, and children in great danger. I wanted to ask if you could make a law stating while having a gun, it can’t be used to kill incident people. I also lost an uncle by gun violence. He was just sitting on a bench and boom. Dead. Without guns, he would still be alive today and others wouldn’t be missed. There would be more people here on earth. I hope you read this and make this world change for the better.

Jeraldyn Salguero

Cristo Rey Philadelphia High School

Angelou

Upload your letter here.