Kiki North Carolina

Athletes Need to Learn Respect

Athletes in the United States have decided to kneel during the national anthem and I think that this needs to change.

As U.S. citizens, we were always taught to sing the Star-Spangled Banner with pride to be an American as we place our hand over our heart and look at the beautiful American flag wave in the air. Our national anthem is a sign of patriotism, thanks to our country and the men and women who serve it, and it is a sign of unity among us. Many athletes have taken this tradition and thrown it away. This “trend” was started by the San Francisco 49ers quarterback, Colin Kaepernick, when he decided to sit during the national anthem during a preseason game against the Green Bay Packers. “I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color”, he stated in an interview for NFL Media. Many other athletes followed Kaepernick’s lead and began to sit, kneel, or raise their fist during the national anthem. I believe that this action must be reprimanded and changed.

This act comes off as being offensive toward veterans and current men and women who are serving in the military. Kenny Stills, a wide receiver for the Miami Dolphins who followed Kaepernick’s lead by kneeling during the national anthem before his game against the Seattle Seahawks, explained his actions via Twitter. “In no way was my action intended to be a sign of disrespect to anyone”, Stills wrote. “I love my country. And I have the utmost respect for the servicemen and women who have- for hundreds of years -sacrificed on our behalf. It is because of them that we have the freedom to help give a voice to the voiceless.” Kaepernick also stated that he has “great respect for the men and women that have fought for this country.” Despite that many athletes have cleared up the fact that their intent was not to offend anyone, it still looks offensive to many servicemen and women. I come from a family with a lot of war veterans and many who are still serving as you read this letter. I personally take offense towards athletes not standing and honoring our flag, and I know my family feels that way too. As I watch various games on TV and see athletes protest, I can’t help but get angry. Don’t these athletes understand that even though they don’t want to offend anyone, lots of people still feel they have been offended?! The fact that men and women have died for this country and athletes can’t stand for two minutes and honor them makes my blood boil! I digress, but my point still stands. Kneeling during the national anthem is disrespectful to anyone who has ever served our country. Period.

Almost all of the athletes that are protesting play for private organizations such as the NFL. However, a soccer player by the name of Megan Rapinoe knelt during the national anthem while wearing a U.S. jersey. Rapinoe first knelt while wearing her Seattle Reign FC jersey, but then she repeated this action wearing red, white, and blue which makes me question why she plays for the national team. She stated that this was a “nod to Kaepernick” and a way to “continue the conversation”. In addition to kneeling in protest for how people of color are treated, Rapinoe also is protesting the treatment of gays that make up 3.8% of all Americans. "And quite honestly, being gay, I have stood with my hand over my heart during the national anthem and felt like I haven't had my liberties protected…” she told espnW’s Julie Foudy. I personally look up to all of the players on the U.S. Women’s National Soccer team and Megan Rapinoe used to be one of my favorite soccer players in both the men’s and women’s game. Key phrase being “used to be”. After seeing Rapinoe kneel during the national anthem while representing the United States of America, I don’t look up to her anymore. Why should I look up to a U.S. player who can’t properly represent and respect the United States? After seeing Rapinoe’s actions I have decided to look for a new role model. If you can’t stand for the national anthem then don’t play for your national team. Case closed.

Another significant reason as to why kneeling for the national anthem is wrong is because it hasn’t solved anything. Sure, it makes a statement, but that’s all it’s doing. Kneeling during the Star-Spangled Banner isn’t changing many people’s point of view on things. It is only making people angrier. I am all for standing up for what you believe in, but I think that you need to take a different approach to it. I understand that we have the right to protest and that this form of protest is peaceful so it’s not causing violence, but I personally feel that in order to really make a change you need to be more creative. Since these athletes have such a big voice in social media and pop culture they can easily make a speech or start an organization that would help persuade people and make a larger change. Some athletes have even considered starting organizations so hopefully, this will stop their disgraceful kneeling. In an interview for ESPN Kaepernick stated, ”There are things that I have in the works right now that I’m working on to put together in the future and have come to fruition soon.” As you can see these athletes have other alternatives to kneeling, sitting, or raising their fist. By creating an organization they aren’t offending anyone, unlike when they protest during the national anthem.

It is important to acknowledge that the First Amendment states that we have the right to protest, many other private sports leagues don’t have a rule about standing for the national anthem, and that these athletes are peacefully protesting and not causing violence, however it is still discourteous to other people, our signature stars and stripes, and our gorgeous national anthem. I even have some solutions for you to take into consideration, future president. I propose that since this isn’t quite a legal issue, you can talk about it in a speech or even release a letter to sports leagues in America stating that they should reprimand any type of disrespect toward our flag and national anthem such as kneeling. This might make coaches, presidents of sports leagues, commissioners, etc. create rules and consequences for athletes’ actions. There are ways to solve problems and I believe that with your help we can solve this problem with athletes so we can give our country, flag, veterans, and national anthem the respect it deserves. Respect to our country means standing up, putting our hand over our heart, and singing the national anthem as loud as we possibly can.

Thank you for reading my letter

Kiki

Citations

Hauser, Christine. "Why Colin Kaepernick Didn’t Stand for the National Anthem." The New York Times. The New York Times, 27 Aug. 2016. Web. 21 Sept. 2016.

Sandritter, Mark. "All the NFL Players Who Joined Kaepernick's National Anthem Protest." SBNation.com. ESPN, 19 Sept. 2016. Web. 21 Sept. 2016.

Sports, Mike Coppinger. "Dolphins' Kenny Stills Explains Kneeling for National Anthem." USA Today. Gannett, 13 Sept. 2016. Web. 21 Sept. 2016.

Wagoner, Nick. "Transcript of Colin Kaepernick's Comments about Sitting during National Anthem." ESPN.com. NFL, 29 Aug. 2016. Web. 21 Sept. 2016.

Hays, Graham. "Playing for Country Poses New Questions for Megan Rapinoe, Anthem Protests." EspnW. EspnW, 14 Sept. 2016. Web. 22 Sept. 2016.

Mandell, Nina. "Washington Spirit Players Say They Were 'disappointed' by Decision to Move Anthem to Thwart Protest." USA Today. Gannett, 9 Sept. 2016. Web. 22 Sept. 2016.

ESPN.com News Services. "NWSL Seattle Reign, U.S. Women's National Team Player Megan Rapinoe's National Anthem Kneel a Nod to San Francisco 49ers Quarterback Colin Kaepernick." EspnW. EspnW, 7 Sept. 2016. Web. 22 Sept. 2016.

Cohen, Isaac. "Americans Wildly Overestimate the Share of the Population That's Gay." National Review. National Review, 23 May 2015. Web. 23 Sept. 2016.

Brennan, Christine. “Player Protests: When Athletes Stand Up (Or Kneel) For Social Justice Issues.” NPR, NPR, 21 Sept. 2016, http://www.npr.org/2016/09/21/494749929/player-protests-when-athletes-stand-up-or-kneel-for-social-justice-issues.

Ap. “Soccer Star Megan Rapinoe Follows Colin Kaepernick in Kneeling for Anthem.” USA Today, Gannett, 5 Sept. 2016, http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/soccer/2016/09/04/soccer-star-rapinoe-knells-during-national-anthem/89875384/.

Beasley, Adam H, and Armando Salguero. “Dolphins Receiver Kenny Stills Says National Anthem Demonstration Will Continue.” Miamiherald, Miami Herald, 13 Sept. 2016, http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article101623832.html.

Colin Kaepernick (above, #7) sitting on the bench during the national anthem.

Kenny Still (#10) and a few of his teammates kneeling. 

Megan Rapinoe kneeling during the U.S. Women's National Team game.

Weddington Middle

First Period Fleck

L2NP