Destiny Illinois

Mental Illnesses

This is about how urgent mental illnesses are and how we as people should know that they aren't just "crazy" people, but just misunderstood.

Dear Mr.Trump,

Let me tell you about the time that I watch my grandfather die. I know what you may be thinking, why did this girl just watched one of her loved ones die?? Well, I couldn’t do anything about it. You see, he had cancer and this was maybe almost 7 or 8 years ago. I heard and saw crying family in every room in my grandparents house, I could feel my tears roll down my cheeks as I cried. I even felt the arms of family members hugging me harder than they have ever hugged me before. Tears were rolling down my cheeks as I came up with something to tell my crying mother who sat next to me on a bed in someone's room. The following years up to last year and some of this year all dealt with me mostly crying and rarely ever being happy. What I’m trying to get at is the topic of mental illnesses, depression being one.

You may not think of mental illnesses as a big thing but a lot of people do and most of the time they end up dead causing someone to believe they have failed that one person because they might not have “paid enough attention” or they will probably just say it was that person’s fault for not saying anything. As a teen of this generation I don’t expect you to really care all that very much about what I have to say, just hear me out though. There’s not much we can do for people with mental illnesses except try and help even if they say they don’t need it, just not by force, that’s taking it a little too far. As the new president the people expect a lot from you now, also meaning there might also be people who need to have a few things come to light so they can finally open their eyes to how the world is nowadays.

There are a lot more important things than what I’m talking about, but we at least need to take it into consideration. About 450 million people suffer from a mental illness in the year 2016. Now, I don’t know if you’ll even read this letter above the other hundreds to thousands of other letters you get, but if you do I hope you take this seriously. I hope you to be a good president and have a good day.

From,

Destiny Gibson

Metea Valley High School

Metea Valley Sophomore English

All sophomore students at Metea Valley High School wrote letters to President-Elect Trump, voicing their issues on ideas that are important to them. These letters were part of a three-week project, where we learned about rhetorical situation; types of claims; types of evidence; and embedding quotes.