Natasha Washington

Criminal Injustice

The justice system has jailed many criminals since the first opening case, but is our own people in the court house being biased towards the minority of our population?

Dear Mr. or Ms. President,

Equality: “The state of being equal, especially in status, rights, and opportunities.”

As a racially mixed citizen I fear the inequality within the justice system, I'm concerned about the way different races are being treated. At a young age I was always interested in the justice system and I admired the ones who risk their lives everyday to put the bad guys behind bars. I feel that some changes needs to be put in order to fix what has been damaged for so long, I strongly believe that we the people need to start voicing out more how we feel more. I propose that we make sure that our guilty and innocent citizens get the proper briefing and jury sentence.

Recently many events have struck the media's attention, more and more crimes are being persecuted each day but the thing that makes everyone, including myself, left in shock is what happens when the criminals are finally about to receive their sentence that they deserve and the judge rules an unreasonable sentence. The most traumatic recent event that left everyone left in awe would be the Brock Turner case, Ex-Stanford swimmer Brock Turner was sentenced with five felony: one count of raping an unconscious person, one count of raping an intoxicated person, two counts of sexual penetration with a foreign object, and one count of assault while attempting to commit rape. Turner could've faced up to 10 years in prison, with a $150,000 bail. Turner only received a big whopping 6 months in jail and would even leave a few months earlier because of “good behavior”. (Buzzfeed News)

As the soon to be proud President of the United States you have a lot on your shoulders, the justice system is very unbiased but the court itself can be a variable to the outcome of a case. One huge example is the races' of people being brought in and for what in the first place, “In New York City, where people of color make up about half of the population, 80% of the NYPD stops were of blacks and Latinos. When whites were stopped, only 8% were frisked. When blacks and Latinos are stopped 85% were frisked according to information provided by the NYPD.” (Huffpost), this evidence helps support my claim of inequality between races within the justice system. The facts back up my claim explaining the ratio of  the minority population versus the white population being pulled over than frisked down. The police give tickets and prosecute many arrest per day, but the facts for drug related arrest was quite shocking, “Since 1970, drug arrests have skyrocketed rising from 320,000 to close to 1.6 million according to the Bureau of Justice Statistics of the U.S. Department of Justice. African Americans are arrested for drug offenses at rates 2 to 11 times higher than the rate for whites…” (Huffpost)

All these statistics but people are still turning their head the other way, 2-11 times higher is a huge factor between the races and it boggles me that the force is committing these actions since their motto's are, “Protect and serve” and “Justice for all” but I think they might have forgotten their oath. My main point of this whole letter was to make you aware of criminal injustice and I relieved throughout this letter and the last few months is that it's really not the actual criminal system that our ancestors put together, but rather the people running the courthouse and our towns. The only people who have a say in your sentence is the judge, the jury and sometimes even the lawyer if they were convincing enough. What good is saying what you think if no one is listening? That's exactly what the minority is thinking when it comes t jury duty, “African Americans are frequently illegally excluded from criminal jury service according to a June 2010 study released by the Equal Justice Initiative. For example in Houston County, Alabama, 8 out of 10 African Americans qualified for jury service have been struck by prosecutors from serving on death penalty cases.” (Huffpost) This evidence supports my claim further more by providing more perspective on the situation, since the jury is majority white many believe that they tend to be bias. Throughout all of history all choices made my a big group of one race/gender or even sexuality tends to come out bias and unfair.

Now tell me that there has never been a case where the color of something or even someone has deemed your choice for something? Majority would answer, "yes". If someone you knew was convicted and you were in the jury you would try to look past the fact that you share something most important in the world which is relation, even though the jury swore and had taken the oath they can't help but let there personally emotional interject with their choice. In conclusion of my long rant Mr/ Ms future president, criminal justice is unfair and bias all over America, as your duty of the president of the united states its your civil duty to put that to an end and fix the system.  May that be through taking names down of the people who actually want to do something for their government, or even having the jury population diverse with every possible race and gender out there. Its you choice, do you believe in equality or inequality?  

Natasha S.

West Seattle High School

6th period LA9H

Hopkins Honors Introduction to Literature