Ryan H. Wisconsin

Problems with Gun Control

I believe in the right to bear arms. It is my right and it should not be taken from me.

The 2nd amendment is a major debate in this election. Conservatives lean towards gun rights while liberals lean towards gun control/gun banning. The 2nd amendment clearly states "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.". It clearly say at the end 'shall not be infringed', meaning that guns can not be banned at all.

Liberals say they value life so they say that guns are bad, if we ban guns, we save lives. They claim they value human life yet they are pro-abortion. Liberals also want to make illegal things like drugs, illegal immigration, etc. But with firearms it is the opposite. President Obama have often used Australia or European examples of gun control. In Australia, their government took all the citizens weapons and melted them down. President Obama believes that if we ban firearms, everyone will turn over their weapons, but he is wrong. Most gun crimes take place with guns stolen by criminals. Criminals. They are called criminals because they don't follow the law. They won't turn over their guns and crime won't drop.

In March, President Obama said that it is as easy to buy a gun as it is to buy groceries. That is complete garbage. If I go to a story and buy grocery are they going to have me fill a Federal form 4473 and go through a background check before letting me buy the food? Another thing is gun free zones. Most of the mass shootings occur within gun free zones because the shooter/s know that there is not a single soul to fire back at them.

When ever there is a mass shooting, blame is instantly put on guns or the NRA or something. But more often then not the shooter is in poor mental health. They should be on treatment or be prohibited from buying a firearm.

I could go on about all the things wrong with gun control but then this letter would be several pages long. In short terms, gun control won't stop mass shootings.

Works cited:

Davis, Sean. "7 Gun Control Myths That Just Won't Die." The Federalist. October 7, 2015, www.thefederalist.com/2015/10/07/7-gun-control-myths-that-just-wont-die/. Accessed November 7, 2016.

Murphy, Dustin. "4 Major Problems with Gun Control Arguments." The Federalist. June 21, 2016, www.thefederalist.com/2016/06/21/4-major-problems-with-gun-control-arguments/. Accessed November 7, 2016.

Robbins, Mel. " The real problem is mental health, not the NRA." CNN. June 25, 2014, www.cnn.com/2014/06/24/opinion/robbins-mental-health/. Accessed November 7, 2016.

Craig High School - Ms. Tucker's English 9

7th Hour - Honors English 9

Craig High School