Kajal B. Minnesota

Judgement Leads to Fear Which Leads to Negative Actions

Why I believe animals deserve to have rights.

We live in a world full of judgment. Humans judge when they don’t understand something. And there is nothing wrong with this. Not understanding something because it’s not part of one’s life is normal. It crosses the line though when we use our judgment to reduce another beings’ rights. This is discrimination and this is what makes judgment one of our worst characteristics.

One specific group of beings that humans have negatively affected are animals. Animals have been seen as stupid, unintelligent beings that humans have the right to lord over. If one takes a step back though, you can see that every animal is driven by an instinct. This instinct can be when a bear fattens up, getting ready to hibernate for the winter or when birds migrate from one place to another. Animals don’t know why they do what they do, but they are able to comprehend that in order to survive, they must follow these instincts.

We have experimented, tested, bred (for clothing, medicine or human benefit), abused, killed, hunted, and displayed them in cases for entertainment. I believe animals should have rights. I’m not saying that means no more hamburgers, steaks, bacon, etc. But every living being deserves a level of respect. We have taken away basic rights that every living being deserves because they were given life just like any other being (just like humans) that means they deserve to be treated right.

“Supporters of animal rights believe that animals have an inherent worth—a value completely separate from their usefulness to humans. We believe that every creature with a will to live has a right to live free from pain and suffering.” (PETA)

Kat

Bibliography:

BBC. "Animal Rights." BBC. BBC, n.d. Web. 18 Oct. 2016.

Friends of Animals. "What Is Meant by Animal Rights?" Exploiters: Friends of Animals. Friends of Animals, n.d. Web. 17 Oct. 2016.

PETA. "Why Animal Rights?" People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals. PETA, n.d. Web. 17 Oct. 2016.

Siebert, Charles. "Should Animals Have The Same Rights As People?" Popular Science. Bonnier Corporation, 16 Dec. 14. Web. 17 Oct. 2016. 

Benilde-St. Margaret's School

Non-Fiction Writing Per. 1

Thoughts and concerns from high school seniors in Minneapolis