Rindi K. California

Why abortions should stay legal

Women should have the right to receive an abortion because it is their body and they know what is best for themselves and their baby. But many others believe that it is wrong to have an abortion because you are killing a human being. The controversy over abortions has been around for decades and raises many important questions. Does America not trust women to make the right decisions?

Dear Future Mr. /Madame President,

There are countless issues that concern this country, but one of the most important concerns is regarding abortion. According to Operation Rescue, about 1.2 million American women get an abortion every year. The controversy over abortions has been around for decades and raises many important questions. Does America not trust women to make the right decisions?

Women should have the right to receive an abortion because it is their body. They know what they are capable of handling and what they are not. Many people don’t understand why a woman would chose to get an abortion and many don’t believe in it because of religion or moral beliefs but that is solely their opinion. Therefore, the government should have no right to interfere with a woman’s personal choice. There are many reasons why a woman may want to get an abortion such as rape, health or mental issues, and age.

Why would the government refuse to let a woman get an abortion because of rape? A woman shouldn’t have to be reminded every day of that kind of horrible event. Also, if a woman wasn’t planning on having a baby, she may not be able to financially support it. The decision on having an abortion is never simple- the reasons why a women has an abortion highlights their understanding of the responsibilities of parenthood. According to Women’s Center, “Three-fourths of women cite concerns for or responsibility to other individuals; three-fourths say that having a baby would interfere with work, school or the ability to care for dependents; and half say they do not want to be a single parent or are having problems with their husband or partner”. These are all important issues that a woman has to think about before making the decision on whether or not she will be able to have her child. Also, if a woman becomes pregnant later in life, there is a bigger chance of her safety and health becoming endangered. What happens if it’s the mother’s life over the baby’s life? In my opinion, the mother should be able to choose whether or not her life matters more than the baby’s and vice versa.

This is an important controversial topic that needs to be taken into serious consideration. If you, Future President, believe in women’s decisions then you should believe that women will make the right decisions for themselves and their children.

Rindi Kessler

Newbury Park High School

English 11IB period 2A

High school English IB course