Kevin F. Georgia

Orphans

Problems with orphans

Dear Future president

Orphans, while other people may be writing about terrorism or maybe immigration problems, I’m writing about orphans my opinion on them and how they're treated and solutions to the problem hopefully this letter stands out from all the other cliché topics that everyone else is writing about.

Last year my cousin who was 18 years old, was shot and killed. He was in a gang. His only family was his mom. I didn’t know him very well, but I thought that it wasn’t fair that my uncle his father, left him behind when he was born leaving him without a father figure to show him how to be a decent person, and at the age of 18, he died.

I think that the world’s orphans are more prone to get into bad situations such as these than other children. Unfortunately Orphanages are awful. There has been research going back decades on the terribleness of orphanages. Without parent figures a kid’s life is pretty much the worst. There are an estimated 140 million orphaned children worldwide. A lot of these kids end up doing child labor. Many of them are out of school as well. As of the start of 2014, every 1 in 11 children of primary-school age are out of school. Totaling 59 million children. Also, as long as orphanages have existed they have had alarmingly high death rates. One reason is from lack of love.

It’s been proved that infant orphans die more because of a lack of love. Now you might be thinking how is that possible? Well an experiment was done comparing what would happen when a group of infants were raised with their incarcerated mothers, and another group being raised in a hospital. People thought that germs from being locked up with so many people were the reason that infants died, so if that was the case then the prison babies would do poorly, but if lack of love was the reason then the hospital babies would do poorly.

Love won in this case, 37% of the infants raised in the hospital ward died, but there were no deaths at all amongst the infants raised in the prison. In fact the infants that were raised in the prison with their mothers, grew faster, were larger and did better in every way Spitz could measure. The orphans who survived the hospital turned out to be more likely to have all types of illnesses. They were also more scrawny, and showed obvious psychological, cognitive, and behavioral problems. This proved the theory that without important parental relationships, orphaned infants had a higher mortality rate than kids with parents.

I’m pretty sure that kids without these important parent relationships, while having higher mortality rates, also get into bad situations:Drugs, Gangs, Etc.. since they have no good parent figure to teach them right from wrong, and I think that maybe there could be some sort of parental figure job for people to work in, and bond with the orphans and teach them good things. Maybe it could make things better for them when they’re grown and also give people jobs in the process.

I hope you’ve taken these things into consideration, Mr or Mrs. president. Who knows maybe this will be much better in the long run for the country, but until then thanks for reading.

Kevin Flores