Allison L. Georgia

Drought

Drought is a severe issue, and the people and areas affected by large droughts need help.

Droughts are causing many different serious problems to occur. These problems are terrible. Some of the problems caused by drought are wildfires, famine, and scarcity of water. Your administration needs to do something to help areas and people affected by large droughts like the ones in California.

One important but problematic product of drought is wildfires. Drought is the leading cause of wildfires. A study found that the average fire had increased by 78 days. The same study also found the average length of major fires had risen from 7.5 days to 37.1 days. These wildfires are burning large land areas. The research in one project found that at least 50% increase in out-of control in the southern San Francisco Bay area and a 125% increase in the Sierra Nevada foothills, with a more than 40% increase in the area burned. This is driving people out of their homes. Also, wildfires are causing state and federal governments to spend a lot of money.

Then, there is obviously just water scarcity caused by drought. In California, this problem has become so severe that Gov. Jerry Brown ordered mandatory water restrictions for the first time in California history this week, saying the state’s drought had reached near-crisis proportions. A lack of water leaves people thirsty. Going three days without water will kill you, so as you can see this is a very serious problem, yet there’s more. If you don’t bathe often, then it leaves you prone to infections. Infections will cause more issue. This is problems on the rise, and is important for those reasons.

Another important yet terrible issue related to drought is famine. Drought is causing famine in more areas than just the United States. In drought prone California, food prices are on the rise because dry or burned soil means less crop production. That means food has to be imported or come from farther distances. The dry soil is caused by lack of water. June 2006, 45% of the contiguous United States was in a moderate-to-extreme state of drought. By July, in which this figure had increased to an astounding 51%. This is all causing food to be more expensive and/or harder to buy, and it is making the homeless to have less food to eat. In California, there is a relatively high percent of homelessness which means this issue is affecting a large number of people.

To help you out, leading causes of drought include over use of water, pollution, and global warming. If Donald Trump just so happens to be the recipient of this letter, then let me just say global warming IS NOT a hoax. Anyway, you should help fight drought when you get to office.

Sincerely,                                                                                                                                                                           Allison