Jocelyn C. California

The High Cost of College Tuition

Poor Latino families can no longer afford college especially when the cost of college is dramatically increasing.

I write this letter to address an issue that is a major concern for many Latino families, like my own, in the Los Angeles area that wish for their children to pursue their dreams which in order to achieve consists of them going to college. College tuition is a common problem for Latino families because most Latinos families are in poverty. College tuition have increased since 1995 to the first half of 2015 by 55.1%, according to the U.S Bureau of Labor Statistics. Some may say that times have changed so therefore these results are reasonable and we’ll have to deal with it but how can we deal with it when we, Latino families in Los Angeles, are experiencing living under the guideline of what poverty is considered to be. According to the U.S Federal poverty guideline in 2015, a family of four, which consists of two parents and two children, would be considered to be living in poverty if the amount of money they make parents and two children, would be considered to be in poverty if the amount of money they make is less than $24,250. Keep in mind that the amount mentioned above doesn't include rent, food, clothes, etc. Most Latino parents work as janitors, plumbers, maids, etc. and having those jobs does not give them sufficient amount of money to support their kids or even themselves as it is. To make matters even more difficult, the average amount of rent in Los Angeles can be up to $1300 per month which is not affordable. With that said, it is hard for an average family of four to support themselves at it is. So then how could they possibly give their children a chance at a better future with the rent in Los Angeles being so costly, the type of jobs they have due to not having a good education, and with college tuitions rising dramatically?

This problem affects my community by giving a message to the children of Hispanic families that their dreams DO have limitations. Not only that but due to to college tuition rising, it most likely will lead to more poverty. The children will have no chance to go to college so they will eventually take the same steps as their parents which will lead them to living in poverty as well. This problem not only affects my community but it affects me as well. This problem affects me personally because attending college would mean the world to me. No one in my family has ever reviewed a high education that goes beyond high school and being the first would mean so much to me. My family is going through some hard times currently and I feel as if going to college will give their children, my cousins, some kind of inspiration to keep moving forward and that anything is possible if you are determined and dedicated. In order for me to make a difference in my family and to be an inspiration I need to be able to attend college but how will I be able to do so if my family can't afford it and scholarships can't cover it all? In other words, how will you, as the next future president, solve the problem of college tuition increasing dramatically and how will you make it more affordable for Latino families like my own that live in poverty?

Sincerely ,

Jocelyn C.