Grace D. Georgia

Juvenile Criminal Justics

Many people walk the streets that we do, including juveniles. When Kids want to commit adult crimes they should be tried and sentenced as adults. Juveniles should not be treated differently when it comes to serious crimes.

A 14-year old could be getting out of jail today for doing the same crime an adult did ten years ago, and still be in jail. Teens today commit serious crimes, and don’t do the time, and continue to do the crime after getting out of jail. How can they learn a lesson without the person teaching? Teens under eight - teen commit adult crimes, meaning that they should be tried and sentenced as adults. “Murderers, rapists, and other criminals are being released from jail everyday after serving only a very short and lenient sentences...The criminals are juveniles who commit adult crimes.” People who get sentenced for life while juveniles get out early and get a second chance to still accomplish life should feel blessed. This is relevant because how can juveniles get another chance when other people could get years, over a decade, or even life for the exact same crime, but different age?

One reason why this is not right is if someone commits the crime, they should just do the time. I understand that, yes, we are still children and haven’t fully developed our minds, but if children want to commit adult crimes, then they should get an adult sentence. In the article I read on Teenink.com it states, “All crimes committed by juveniles should and must be treated in the same regard, if not to punish heinous acts, then to provide justice to the families of victims.” This means that it’s not only about the people who did the crimes, it’s also about the victims and their loved ones not getting the justice they wanted.

Another reason why this should be taken cared of is that sentencing should be treated fairly no matter what the age. When there are adults being sentenced life for the same crime a juvenile did when they are only being sentenced a few years, why would that be fair. In the same article, it states, “...these criminals absolutely should be punished as an adult regardless of their age.” This is important because America is all about equality; everyone treated the same, but this shows that that fact is false.

Ultimately, it has been prohibited that juveniles get ‘too harsh’ of a sentence even though they did a harsh crime. I understand that there are some crimes like stealing or breaking ins should be less harsh, but other than that murder or rape, that’s a sentence that could never too harsh. I hope you, being our future president, see that this is a real issue that should be acted upon.

Creekland Middle School

Ms. Boyle's Class

Ms. Boyle's Class