Ella Z. Iowa

Homework

We should not have homework.

Imagine you are going on a vacation and you ask the teachers for the homework when you are gone and they give you a lot. You would almost be doing more homework than spending family time. I think that we should not have homework because it affects students and their families a lot. I found that research has been unable to prove that homework improves student performance. Some people think that homework helps, but there is little research about it, and some people think that it doesn’t help.

A lot of people can be affected by homework. The parents, the teacher, your other family members, and also the student. There are a lot of people who are affected. The parents are affected because they have the pressure to have their kids make sure the do their homework. Also the teacher is affected because they have the pressure to stay up late to finish correcting the homework that they give. The other family members are affected because they want to do something with you and you can’t because you have homework. That is not fun because you want to do it but you can’t. Also the student is affected because they have pressure to get it done, Also they have stress to get the really hard and long assignments done. Stanford News says 56 percent of students considered homework a primary source of stress.

According to Center of Public Education, students receive better grades with less outside preparation. Also on Alfie Khon a study found that assigning spelling homework had no effect on how proficient children were at spelling later on. See I do not get that if teachers do not like to grade homework, then why give out homework? Students have better things to do than homework. Homework does not improve the student’s education. ACSD says that we are now at a point that homework is a topic of a debate. We should not have homework, and if we do, not very much. Thank you for the time you took to read this letter.

Ella

Cites:

Sirs. Goodbye to Homework for Some Elementary Schools and Classes.

SCD. ASCD, www.ascd.org/publications/educational-leadership/mar07/vol64/num06/

The-Case-For-and-Against-Homework.aspx.

Center for Public Education. Center for public Education, www.centerforpubliceducation.org/.

Alfie Khon. Alfie Kohn, www.alfiekohn.org/

Stanford. Stanford, news.stanford.edu/.