Madi Iowa

Abolish Homework

Homework causes more stress than it helps students out, is driving kids away from learning, and is doing no good.

Today I will be writing to you about the topic of homework, and how it is a very big issue for people all around the world. The amount of homework we get nowadays is crazy! Homework has become a very big deal of stress for kids. I have found out that homework is not helping kids learn, but actually driving them away from learning.

Homework is not just a little thing that is affected by a small amount of people, it affects everyone that goes to school. The sad thing is, we spend all this time doing our homework and it isn’t even helping us. Not a single study has ever supported that homework teaches good work habits or develops positive character traits such as self-discipline, responsibility, or independence. If homework doesn’t affect you right now it could very possibly affect you in the future. If you have kids now or plan to in in the future, they will also be getting loads and loads of their homework. It affects almost everyone. All it is doing is giving us stress.

Homework takes up way too much time and is tearing families apart. The amount of time we spend doing homework could be used to spend time with families and friends, or even just being outside. But instead we are forced to be inside, working on our school work. “Students spend too much time on homework and experience more stress, physical health problems, a lack of balance in their lives, and alienation from society.”

I believe this is an important topic and you should care because tons students are suffering everyday from stress because of homework. The stress that goes along with homework is not good. Homework is given to kids at such a young age. First and second graders received 28 and 29 minutes of homework per night. Some kindergarteners receive 25 minutes of homework per night, on average. Those little kindergarteners should not be doing that much homework. It is very unnecessary for them.

I believe that we should minimize the amount of homework to ten minutes or just abolish it completely. Both the National Education Association (NEA) and the National PTA (NPTA) support a standard of “10 minutes of homework per grade level” and setting a general limit on after-school studying.

Overall homework does not help kids and should be abolished. “Homework sparks anxiety in kids who have to do it, parents who have to make sure they do it (or, in some households, do it for the kids), and teachers who have to assign it and grade it.” Homework causes more stress than it helps students out. Homework is driving kids away from learning and is doing no good. I hope we can change the deal with homework.

Thanks for your consideration,

Madi

http://www.healthline.com/health-news/children-more-homework-means-more-stress-031114#6