Katie Ohio

The Impact of Medical Debt

This essay shows how people are struggling with medical debt today. They have very little money and most of them don't have the money to support their families. Also, they don't have the money to have a house for shelter. Furthermore, these people have more medical debt than they do savings money.

Medical debt has caused so many issues with Americans. There's so many people that can’t afford food or a house for their families. Medical debt needs to change because people are not getting enough food and are suffering to pay their bills. We should care about this because some people don’t have the money to go to the doctor, or the dentist. They are suffering because of medical debt. People are struggling to keep a home for their family and getting food for their family.

According to medical debt article posted by research alert, “those with medical debt (65%) had to put off paying for some necessities to cover their expenses, 62% took money from their savings, and 20% considered filing for bankruptcy” ( Research alert). This fact is showing how there are many Americans suffering because of medical debt. Also according to the medical debt research article, “In fact, 41% of young adults between age 19 and 29 failed to get medical care in a recent 12-month period because of costs. The number rose to 60%. They are not filling prescriptions, skipping recommended tests or treatments, avoiding doctor visits and failing to get specialist care they need”( Research alert). This is an issue, because people need to have doctor visits, or dentist appointments, so they stay healthy. There should be cheap health clinics in some areas, so people can get the help for themselves, or for their children.

Also, another reason medical debt needs to change is because most people have more medical debt than they do savings money. My mom right now is struggling because of her medical bills. She has a hard time trying to save money, because it all goes to her bills. According to the USA Today article, “In fact, 25% of respondents say they already have more medical debt than emergency savings” (USA Today). My mom is also an American citizen struggling with medical debt. According to the Washington Times article, “Nearly 71 million working Americans, ages 19 to 64, reported having problems paying their medical expenses in 2003” (Washington Times). Another person struggling with money issues is my step-dad. His college school loans are so high that he has trouble trying to save money as well. Every month his school bill comes out, along with all of the other bills. When all of these bills come out at the same time, they pretty much take most of his paycheck. This is an issue because people need to be able to buy what they need to stay healthy and alive. It’s hard to do that when you're paying expensive medical bills or school bills. I think that college is way too expensive right now. About $10,000 for just one year of school is outrageous and about $6,000 for a surgery is way too high. The average cost of living on campus for a public school is $8,887 and the cost of living on campus for a private school is $10,089. Those costs don’t even include what you have to pay for the classes. In my opinion college is way too expensive and so is getting surgery.

One way that the next president could help the people that need help with their bills could give an extension on paying them. They should at least get a few days to pay them. Some people are generous enough and will donate to the homeless on the streets or to a shelter. While some may say, the homeless need to get a job and not beg for money on the streets. Some people don’t have a choice and they need to what they can do to survive. The Washington Times article posted that, “there are people on the streets or walking around trying to find money or food”(Washington Times). There are many people that suffer with this issue and need as much help as they can get. Please help them. They struggle with keeping a home for their family and getting food for their family. A lot of people have sick children and they don’t have the money to send their children to the hospital. This is a really big issue and I see this as a problem in our society today. There should be a specific place where people can donate money to help people with these types of problems. Thank you for taking your time to read this, I really appreciate it.

I really hope that when you read my paper you felt the meaning that it had. I hope you can fix these things so my mom and dad can get the help that need. Again, thank you for taking your time to read this, I really appreciate it and I know that you are very busy being the president.

Sincerely, Katie 

Hellmich, Nanci. "Potential medical debt causes stress." USA Today 15 Sept. 2014: 02B. Opposing Viewpoints in Context. Web. 19 Oct. 2016.

"Medical debt." Research Alert 17 Oct. 2008: 4. Opposing Viewpoints in Context. Web. 19 Oct. 2016.

"Study reports high medical debt rate; Two-fifths of workers, including insured, note trouble paying bills." Washington Times [Washington, DC] 11 Aug. 2005: C09. Opposing Viewpoints in Context. Web. 20 Oct. 2016.

"Young adults skip healthcare as medical debts rise." CNN Wire 8 June 2012. Opposing Viewpoints in Context. Web. 20 Oct. 2016

Oak Hills High School

Hodges Eng III: Bell 6

We will share our writing, pictures of our process, and videos here!