Abby Y. Ohio

One Shot At Life

There are more shootings, more attacks and more violence on innocent people lately. It's been a scary time. Weapons have harmed people in many ways. Is there a way we can decrease violence?

Dear Next President:

The Second Amendment states "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.” If curtain guns and arms are limited, instead of having all guns taken away, the U.S could be much more safe and secure. Making limitations and restrictions on certain guns, weapons and people can assure our safety. As well as figuring out a way to decrease mass shootings. In some countries, weapons are restricted. If we change the way we use guns and restrict when and where they are used, there can be less worry in our world.

Suddenly, there has been a substantial increase of savagery and violence in the U.S, most of it by police but some are mass shootings, which has increased the most (+383%). People don’t deserve to be put in danger for any reason. Procon.org states “Five women are murdered with guns every day in the United States. [10] A woman's risk of being murdered increases 500% if a gun is present during a domestic dispute.” In some states, people have a licence and a permit to carry disguised weapons and firearms.

To control guns, limitations and restrictions can be put on certain guns and people to have a safer environment. For the everyone’s safety, we don’t need all this violence. Twenty-two percent of Americans have at least one gun.There is a difference between the military having curtain guns and weapons than U.S citizens having them. Guns are rarely used for self-defense. Less than 1 percent of victims protected themselves with a firearm. Often guns (legally owned) are stolen and then used by criminals. There would be less suicides. According to Procon.org, “Between 1999 and 2013 there were 270,237 firearm suicides in the United States, accounting for about 52% of all suicides during those years. [4] According to a Mar. 2014 study published in the International Review of Law and Economics, when gun ownership went down in the United States, overall suicide rates went down.”

In other countries, including New Zealand, there are restricted weapons and in result, violence has decreased. New Zealand restricted weapons that include many knives, an automatically opening blade, a double edged blade, firearms, shotguns, etc. If we did the same thing, by restricting some of our weapons, including guns, violence would probably decrease.

We shouldn’t have to agonize over if we are going to get harmed by people with arm that can hurt people. By reducing the the amount of these deleterious arms, there would be less suicides, less people in harm or killed and our world could be a lot safer than it is today.

Sincerely, Abby

Hudson Middle School

HMS 8 Respect

The gathering place of fine young minds in Hudson Middle School!