Nicole S. California

Fear vs. Freedom

We teach our children that they can be anything that they want to be, so why are people afraid to be themselves?

You would expect that as time progressed, it would be easier to accept others. And while the bigger issues of slavery and voting rights are behind us, people still face hate in America.

Many people are seemingly unwilling to accept another's sexuality, race or beliefs. This should be unacceptable in this day and age. We should be long past violence against those who are different. No one should feel unsafe because of who they are.

Whilst my mother and I are both white-skinned, my father and older sister are much darker, due to our Indian background. I never really thought much of this, until once in the airport security line, my dad's bag was pulled from the conveyor belt. It was supposedly for just the random checks the TSA will do every so often. I didn't buy it. Why? Because this has happened multiple times. My sister has even pointed this out, saying, "They're probably just pulling him out because he's the only racially ambiguous man here." This type of behavior can't continue. We cannot assume someone has ill intentions simply because of their appearance. 

Growing up in the Bay Area region of California, I am a huge supporter of the LGBTQ+ community. They are some of the nicest, funniest, and most understanding people you will ever meet. It truly hurts me when I see people bash them, push them aside, or call them out just because of who they are. The Orlando Pulse Night Club shooting hit me pretty hard. I just couldn't understand how someone could hate a group of people so much that he felt the need to kill them, that because they were different, they deserved to be killed. Of course, none of that would have happened if he wasn't able to own a gun, but that's an issue for another time. 

Why does it matter if someone is different? Why does it matter if someone doesn't follow your religion? It shouldn't. It shouldn't matter. We should be able to accept.

Early on, we teach our children that America is free, that we can be whatever we choose to be. And while you certainly can be whatever you want, you will still face hate from those who disagree with you. Future President, we cannot allow this kind of hate anymore. We need to teach our children to embrace diversity, not push others away because of it.

Respectfully,

Nicole

Santa Clara High School

Flowers English 9 Honors

Students in Flowers English 9 Honors Class