Lillie R. California

Save The Bees

This letter is about how the bee's population has decreased over the years and what we can do to save them.

When I was younger, there was a tree that was swarming with bees. I would always be so scared to walk by it because there were so many. Now, there are no bees to be seen in my entire backyard, and my front yard too. This means that the bee population is declining a lot. And something definitely needs to be done to fix this issue because bees are very important.

There are many causes for this issue. A few are land management, pesticides used in farming, parasites, and the bad quality of the bees diet. Because of all these issues, the population of bees has dropped dramatically over the course of just a few years. In 1946, there was an estimated amount of 5.5 million hives in the U.S.. In 2006 (60 years later), there was about 3 million hives. The population has been declining more and more since then.

If the bee population keeps declining like this, then it will majorly affect us and the planet. Bees pollinate all of our plants that have food on them. Without bees, we will struggle with our food supply. Also, many plants will die, which will take away food for wild animals. This could potentially lead to many species becoming extinct.

There are many, simple ways to fix this problem. One way is to stop being so mean to them. When people see bees, they usually get scared and step on them or swat them. Don’t do that! Another way is to ban the 7 most deadly pesticides. Also, we can protect bees’ natural habitat.

This problem may seem small, but it’s very important. If we don’t take care of this problem it could greatly affect us. It’s easy to fix to!

Lillie Ruhl

MCAA

MCAA B4

English 9 Block 4 students share their concerns with the future POTUS