Sofia C. California

Homeless

Why are people homeless? The causes can vary widely, but the heartache in each person’s story is the same. Painful life circumstances, and sometimes poor choices, leave people to isolation and despair. Homeless people are an important issue in this country, that needs to be addressed.

Why are people homeless? The causes can vary widely, but the heartache in each person’s story is the same. Painful life circumstances, and sometimes poor choices, leave people to isolation and despair. Homeless people are an important issue in this country, that needs to be addressed. People are left without homes or a safe place to stay and that can lead to many problems.

Homeless people can get diseases because they don’t live in a clean environment and don't have access to places they can cleanse themselves. People don’t have jobs, or are disabled and are not able to work which makes it difficult to survive. I personally seen homeless people sleeping behind businesses or restaurants or sleeping in there car. I also have seen homeless people asking for money outside of stores. Being homeless can result in death because of starvation, or diseases.

Alaska, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Nevada, Oregon, Rhode Island, Washington State, and Washington, D.C. have the highest rates of homelessness. Most shelters available have many requirements for the homeless, besides not having enough room. So it makes it more difficult for the homeless to get help. Because of the many requirements the homeless have to find another place to live or stay. Which leads to them to living on the streets, by river, and also by businesses. Personal hygiene is important for the homeless because they don’t have access to showers, bathrooms, or other requirements they need for everyday needs. Being homeless can also affect people's mental state.

For people in families, the most commonly cited causes are lack of affordable housing, poverty, and unemployment. For singles the most commonly cited sources are substance abuse, lack of affordable housing, and mental illness. 68% of U.S. cities report that addiction is the most widespread issue in the lives of homeless people. 20-25% of the homeless population suffers from chronic mental illness. These are some of the causes of homelessness.

So it is up to you, Mr. President. Are you willing to invest all your time and effort to help the homeless who need all the help they can get? You should make it more aware to people that there are homeless who need help and that they are suffering. They should make an organization for homeless people that could help them with food, water, shelter and other personal needs. Let's make this a priority.

Sofia Celedon