a concerned citizen California

A clear connection between mental illness and substance abuse

Half of mentally ill patients have a substance abuse problem. One of five people are mentally ill. One of ten people have a substance abuse problem.

A clear connection between mental illness and substance

abuse

Dear Future President

I have seen the effects of mental illness, drug abuse and the mix. I come from a family with a lot of mental health problems and one or two family members have really messed up their lives with drug. To come back for drug abuse is hard. Hard on the families and hard financially.

People who suffer from bipolar disorder, depression, and other mental illnesses are more likely to have a substance abuse problem. Stress, isolation, or failed relationships and marriages are the main causes for americans to try and become addicted to drugs.People who are very negative are more likely to use drugs for a relief, escape, or comfort.

23.5 million Americans have a substance abuse problem. Children of parents who abused drugs are 45-79% more likely to abuse drugs. 42.5 million Americans have a mental illness. 42.7% of mentally ill patients have a substance abuse problem. Half of mentally ill patients have a substance abuse problem. One of five people are mentally ill. One of ten people have a substance abuse problem. Most people that have drug abuse problems are parents. These parents are telling their kids it's ok to do drugs. 43% of Americans are working middle class . They can not afford to go to the doctors… Let alone seek treatment.

We need to start giving better healthcare. You can't say they don't want help because they won't go get help. Most americans can not afford to have someone watch they kids when they are trying to get help. Americans need the money to provide for their families and pay for treatment. They are having to pick provide for my family with my mental illness and drug addiction or go get help leaving my family penny less. Thank you for reading.

A concerned citizen 

MCAA

MCAA B4

English 9 Block 4 students share their concerns with the future POTUS