Jeremy Massachusetts

Animal Testing Alternatives

Animal testing is expensive, hard, and mostly inaccurate. We need a better solution to test our everyday drugs and cosmetics. Animals are not here for us to use for experiments, and finding an alternative would be beneficial to both us and the animals being used.

Dear Madam or Mr. President,

My aunt and uncle have a dog and my cousins had two dogs making me a dog lover. I love nature and going to a sleep away camp in the woods of New Hampshire rekindled my love for nature. We built shelters, made bows and arrows, and the instructors taught us which plants were safe to eat. I have also been to Malaysia, where my father was born, and all the colorful birds and monkeys have fascinated me ever since. When I was little, I would watch all the nature shows and the BBC’s movie Earth. Nature is beautiful, and we should respect all the animals on the Earth today.

China is already planning to relax its requirement that cosmetics and other personal care products be tested on animals before they can go to market. This is revolutionary, the idea that we shouldn’t use animals as a test subject for our personal needs such as drugs and cosmetics. PETA, the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, have created organs on chips. One model shows a lung organ that contains the same organs and cells of a human lung. This could lead to less medicine being used and help eliminate the need to use animals for tests.

As president of the United States of America, you have the power to sign or veto laws. You have the power to command the armed forces. You have the power to create treaties with other nations. You now have the power to create a better, more reliable way to test drugs and cosmetics that would save countless animals and save us loads of money. Supporting associations such as PETA could end up in the whole nation, the whole world to use a different method of testing personal products that would boost the economy. As George Orwell wrote, “All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.”

Jeremy

Baker ELA

Yellow

Letters to the Next President