Josie Richardson Louisiana

Dual Enrollment

For students who are not of the minimum age but are intelligent far beyond their age, I firmly believe they should be offered a better opportunity to begin earning their college credits early. This way, these students can either cut their actual college years short or earn more hours in order to receive a higher degree.

I've personally come to the realization that students in high school who are academically advanced for their age don't quite get a full opportunity to excel and challenge themselves. Though there are programs such as dual enrollment that allow students to participate in college courses while simultaneously being enrolled in high school, these programs are restricted to certain ages at most high schools. These ages are frequently limited to grades 11-12.

Some dual enrollment classes are online, whereas others are at colleges near the participants' high school. dual enrollment not only gives the student college hours, but also provides the participant with high school credits. The request I have is to offer dual enrollment courses to high school students from grades 10-12 with certain guidelines set by each given state providing it. Now, you may ask "Why exclude 9th grade students?" The reasoning behind the exclusion of freshmen is that they have barely learned the basics of the classes they'll be taking throughout high school. These beginner classes shape the foundation of what material the students will need in college, as do the vast majority of high school courses. There could very well be exceptions, as long as the student meets their state's dual enrollment requirements, for some students are gifted with immense intelligence and are academically far beyond their peers. As for the participation guidelines, I suggest that students who maintain a 4.0 grade point average and a certain score on their ACT test should be applicable for the program. In addition to the GPA, the ACT test score requirement should be the student's achievement of a composite score ranging from 21 to 36—the average minimum to maximum score to be able to attend college in the United States—throughout their previous to current high school years. 

By beginning their college courses while in high school, students willing to put forth the extra effort and push themselves will be rewarded with less time in college or a lighter schedule. Some may earn their degrees early, some may earn another degree along with the one they originally set out to obtain due to the freed up space that dual enrollment allowed. My point is that if suitable students in grades 10-12 are allowed to take their college classes (up to three years early) and earn hours before they even graduate high school, they'd save money by being in college for less time. Not to mention, by the time they get to college they're already well seasoned, enlightened, and prepared because they've now become comfortable and accustomed to the education and teaching style of college. 

In conclusion, I'd like to see dual enrollment courses offered to more high school students, because everyone deserves the opportunity to excel. Education is the one thing young people have that no one can take away from them, so why not further it?

Best regards, 

Josie RIchardson

Delta Charter School

DCS Civics

Delta Charter School Civics Classes