Makenzie Landers Louisiana

Stop Abortion

I think that abortion should not be legalized. There are 1.1 million abortions in the US per year, that is 1.1 million innocent lives that don't even have a chance to take their first breath. I feel as if they are ''mature'' enough to have sex and get pregnant then they are ''mature'' enough to have the baby.

I feel like you should make abortion illegal, especially at a specific age. These days if a parent consents, you can do it. Yes that is taking away rights but if you think about it you're taking away the rights of the child who doesn't even have a choice to live. Yes, say you are raped and you are caught up in drugs and just in some really bad situations, this child could possibly give you a new beginning, a way out of these horrible situations. There are plenty of miracle stories of women everywhere who's child gave them ''a new life'' they would say. 

Just because you do not want the child does not mean you take their life away. There are other ways to give that baby a good life without effecting yours. There's adoption, plenty of women out there can not physically have children, and you who can don't want the child. Women need to realize that having the ability to get pregnant is a blessing that can be taken away in a matter of a minute. 1 in 4 women that get pregnant have an abortion (22%), also approximately 1/3 of American women have had an abortion by the time they are 45. If you don't want to just give your baby away you can do open adoptions. You can meet and choose the perfect family for your child and have open visiting rights to the child. There are foster homes, but you must also consider the fact that in a foster home a child can be passed from home to home and you will not have visiting access to that child unless the foster parents allow it. Child Services deals with thousands of adoption cases a day and that is thousand of lives that weren't aborted and taken away without having the opportunity to live.

Us as students get up every morning and say the pledge which specifically states we are ''One nation under God.'' Are we doing what God wants by taking away the lives he has blessed us with? In the Bible it clearly states ''Behold, children are a gift of the LORD, the fruit of the womb is an award. -Psalm 127:3" Now people tried to say that life doesn't begin until conception but the Lord says '' For I breathed the breath of life into the man's nostrils, and the man became a living person.-Genesis 2:7" the Bible says that life didn't begin until man took his first breath so which is wrong- you or the Bible? I don't understand how our leader, someone who is suppose to follow the pledge, the oath, can legalize abortion. Getting an abortion does not make you unpregnant, it makes you the mother of a dead baby. You have to look at it like this, if we can tell a mother it's ok to kill her child, how can we tell people not to kill each other? If we are condoning abortion then it's not teaching love, but violence to get what you want. If abortion isn't wrong then nothing is wrong.

Makenzie Landers

Delta Charter School

DCS Civics

Delta Charter School Civics Classes