Maria Palestini

Discrimination of Self-Expression in the Work Place

Many people who discriminate others for being themselves don't know how much it really affects someone.

Dear President-Elect,

Discriminating people in the workplace because they are self- expressing affect them emotionally and professionally. People may get judged based on what they are wearing, or if they have tattoos and piercings in other places than their ears. Having a dress code at work is good to a point, but when people are not being treated the same because of what they have on their body, then it becomes judging and discrimination. People who get judged soon will get lower self-esteem and won’t want to go to work anymore. People can get distracted from their jobs because they are thinking only about what people are saying about them. I think that if you, the president, said something to all the workers about how it is wrong to discriminate and i think you should say that if you discriminate to the point where someone gets fired, then that person should be fired aswell because they discriminated against someone.

In a survey, 42 percent of managers said their opinion of someone is changed based on what they have on their body. 81 percent of people surveyed say that piercings in places other than ears, is wrong and unprofessional. 76 percent think that visible tattoos are also unprofessional. These percentages are examples of how much discrimination and judgments are really going around in the workplace.

People who discriminate and judge others based on what they have on their body, affects them in many ways. For example, if someone doesn’t like that his/her’s coworker has a piercing in other places that their ears, they get complain and get others to complain enough to possibly get that person with the piercing fired. Many people who get judged lose their self-esteem and may even become depressed. People also start not wanting to go to work anymore. People can also get distracted from their jobs because they are thinking only about what people are saying about them. Some people who get judged can be affected so much that they even start having suicidal thoughts. Overall, people with tattoos, piercing, or just a unique style get certain things taken away because of others discriminating and being rude to them.

A cause of discrimination of self expression in the workplace may be that employees are abusing the power of what they are allowed to do, therefore leading to discrimination and dress code changes. A solution that i can up with to solve this issue is that to make sure everyone is heard on what they like and don’t like, the employees should vote on what should be allowed and not allowed in the dress code and other things like if tattoos and piercing are ok or not. Voting on what should be allowed and not allowed is more fair to the employees bc they are able to have freedom of speech.

This issue can be difficult to talk about with others sometimes because everyone has their own opinion and perspectives on this. Some people think that certain things that people wear or have on their body is wrong and they think those people should be punished. Others say that it’s fine to have piercing and tattoos because it's a way of expressing yourself.

Discriminating people because they are self- expressing affect them emotionally and professionally. People who judge others don’t understand that they are lowering people’s self-esteem and getting people possibly fired. Just because they have a nose piercing or some tattoos or just a unique style doesn't make them unqualified to do a certain job and shouldn't be treated in the ways that they are currently being treated. If you, the president, made a law against discrimination in the workplace, I think that a lot of people will feel more happy and more motivated to go to work and will feel more comfortable being themselves around others.